Nintendo Flashback

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

ChaosAlchemyst
Nintendo Flashback

Post by ChaosAlchemyst » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:46 pm

Inspiration:
About a week ago, my friend said, "I really wish that I could play all my old nintendo games on one console." Something about that rang a bell in my head and I decided to do just that. I began work on my first console hack that I called the "Nintendo Flashback".

Details:
The flashback is going to be a semi-portable, laptop style console (It will have to be plugged in to work). It will incorporate playability for NES, SNES, N64, and GC into one console. I will be using a FC twin for the Nes/SNES cartrides and a GC and N64 for the other two. It is going to have a 19" LCD tv screen for portable display. (PS: Because this is my first hack I'm going to be asking quite a few questions from you more experienced folk out there)

Parts:
N64 (being shipped)
GC (acquired)
Gameboy Player (acquired)
FC Twin (acquired)
19" LCD (acquired)
AC/DC adapter (for consoles) (acquired)
AV switch (I had it lying around. I would have made one otherwise)

The Build:
So far, I have taken apart the gamecube, the FC Twin and the TV. I have also found an old wavebird wireless gamecube controller and disassembled the signal broadcaster for internal mounting. I am also beginning work on a wooden case for the system. After everything has been put together, I am guessing that the case will be somewhere in the vicinity of 20"x14"x6". And while i understand that that IS large for a hack on these sites, This is not intended to be truly portable.

Questions:
1st one! (I told you it wouldn't be too long before I had one):
What do you guys use to desolder the multi-pin connections for the cartridge plugs and other stuff like that? my dad recommends braid and others I know are saying to get a desoldering pump. What would you guys reccommend?

I hope this keeps you interested and thanks for looking!

Muniosi

Re: Nintendo Flashback

Post by Muniosi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:52 am

You seem to know what you're doing, but this project seems quite ambitious.

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:02 am

In answer to your question,
I use a pump
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:16 pm

I use the Radioshack desoldering iron, which is a pump and soldering iron all in one. I have used braid before, it takes some getting used to, but works as well.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

ChaosAlchemyst

Post by ChaosAlchemyst » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Update: So far, I have dismantled the Gamecube and put it back together (in a more flexible way of course), The guy giving me the N64 shipped it to the wrong address so I'm still waiting for it, I've broken an FC Twin, And Ive figured out how to power this thing. I thought I'd run it by you guys.

Power is going to be from the wall exclusively (the TV cannot run off a battery). I'm going to run it through a Buss Bar and branch both the TV and the console power off of that. For the console's power, I will be using the Gamecube's power brick. (now nicely unwrapped) It provides 12V of power at 3.25 Amps DC from there, It will branch to the three consoles(most likely with another Bus Bar). The Gamecube can just be wired straight in, and the N64 will have a step down regulator for its 3.4(?)v line. The FC Twin runs off of 6v DC so another branch will be made (with another step down regulator) to that system. Keep in mind that I have no intention of running more than 1 console at once so think before you correct me on power requirements.