Sony Dreamcube 642

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

zif8
Sony Dreamcube 642

Post by zif8 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:49 pm

I'm Making A Arcade Cabinet. It Consists Of A Ps2, A Dreamcast, A Gamecube, And A Nintendo 64! I Even Got The Logo I'm Putting On It! But Its Still In Progress. Send Me Tips To Make My Multi Arcade Cabinet!
Someday I Will Build A House Of My 123 Videogames!

zif8

Re: Sony Dreamcube 642

Post by zif8 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:17 pm

The First Person Who Answers Gets A Ripped PC Version Of GTA San Andreas! No Torrent Either!

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:06 am

make the housing from partical board. cheap and durable. but add a coat of PVA with a foam roller, it will give it a smooth finish
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

zif8

Post by zif8 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:40 am

Well Any Tips On Where To Put The Consoles, Like Side By Side, Or In Rows Of 2?
Attachments
SDC642.JPG
Like My Logo Its Getting Put On The Top With A Light And Some Plaxiglass!
SDC642.JPG (23.42KiB)Viewed 7131 times

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:51 pm

make a couple of shelves to go inside it. then set them up 2 on each. like so:

.________
| |........| | <- screen?
| |_____| |
======
|~!~ 000 | <- buttons?
======
| PS2|GC |
| N64|DC| <-consoles

ascii is cool

zif8

Post by zif8 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:38 pm

humakabula1 wrote:make a couple of shelves to go inside it. then set them up 2 on each. like so:

.________
| |........| | <- screen?
| |_____| |
======
|~!~ 000 | <- buttons?
======
| PS2|GC |
| N64|DC| <-consoles

ascii is cool
Wow, Wheels? Come On Its Not A Racecar. Dangit I Gave A Noob An Idea! Thx Dude, I'm Thinking About Using A Bookshelf To Start With. Its Not Easy Being Eleven With Dreams! LOL!
Attachments
SDC642.JPG
SDC642.JPG (23.42KiB)Viewed 7096 times

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:37 am

ok ok, no wheels..for now

but a book case will work perfectly if you can find one that will fit

DiscoPanda

Post by DiscoPanda » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:02 am

I've been thinking of making a 1U rackmount Dreamcast. A PS2 might be nice to 1U also, it already has a front-load drive, and I can just extend the Ethernet/Modem ports on the HDD adapter to punchdown jacks mounted in the back panel.

Maybe you could get a rack system, then add a bunch of rackmount-ized consoles, a rackmount display, and a slide-out drawer in the bottom to store the controllers? (With a slide-out shelf below the display to set arcade-style controllers on?)

(Reminds me, sometime I need to hunt down some fried rackmount hubs/switches/routers/&c. to get cheap cases from, new 1U cases cost more than I feel like spending on what's basically a fancy metal box...)

zif8

Post by zif8 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:48 pm

DiscoPanda wrote:I've been thinking of making a 1U rackmount Dreamcast. A PS2 might be nice to 1U also, it already has a front-load drive, and I can just extend the Ethernet/Modem ports on the HDD adapter to punchdown jacks mounted in the back panel.

Maybe you could get a rack system, then add a bunch of rackmount-ized consoles, a rackmount display, and a slide-out drawer in the bottom to store the controllers? (With a slide-out shelf below the display to set arcade-style controllers on?)

(Reminds me, sometime I need to hunt down some fried rackmount hubs/switches/routers/&c. to get cheap cases from, new 1U cases cost more than I feel like spending on what's basically a fancy metal box...)
A Rack System? WTF! It Defeats The Purpose Of It Being A Cabinet, But Good Suggestion. And Don't Get Technical I'm Only Eleven!

DiscoPanda

Post by DiscoPanda » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:18 pm

zif8 wrote:A Rack System? WTF! It Defeats The Purpose Of It Being A Cabinet, But Good Suggestion. And Don't Get Technical I'm Only Eleven!
Well, 1U just means that the box is 1.75" tall and about 19" wide. (2U would be twice as tall, and so on. 4U, like the computer I'm currently assembling for myself, is 7".)

Ever seen a server rack cabinet? You can get them from little short things for audio equipment to about the size of an end table all the way up to ceiling-tall. (Things besides servers use cabinets like that too, such as audio mixing equipment and such.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19-inch_rack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; can probably explain it better than I can.

Oh, and a punchdown jack is basically the kind they usually use for putting network/phone jacks in a cover plate in the wall, like the cover plates they use for outlets and switches.