How to swap A and B on NES controller

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

gumbyx84
How to swap A and B on NES controller

Post by gumbyx84 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:48 am

Hey all. I have an odd question for you guys. I'm interested in buying a NES-to-GCN adapter so I can use a NES controller to play Megaman Collection for GCN. Sadly, the GCN version of the game swaps the A and B button controls (A to shoot, B to jump). The only way I can figure to fix this issue is to swap the A and B buttons on a NES controller, but not exactly sure how to. I don't have a solider gun (as I don't usually do electronics work) and have little experience with one. Anyone want to try and help this newbie out?

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: How to swap A and B on NES controller

Post by hailrazer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:43 am

gumbyx84 wrote:Hey all. I have an odd question for you guys. I'm interested in buying a NES-to-GCN adapter so I can use a NES controller to play Megaman Collection for GCN. Sadly, the GCN version of the game swaps the A and B button controls (A to shoot, B to jump). The only way I can figure to fix this issue is to swap the A and B buttons on a NES controller, but not exactly sure how to. I don't have a solider gun (as I don't usually do electronics work) and have little experience with one. Anyone want to try and help this newbie out?
You'll need a solder iron. Cut the traces to both buttons then solder new wires switching them. Piece of cake.

If you can't do it , send it to me and I will.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

gumbyx84

Post by gumbyx84 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:51 am

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll break down and try it myself as its probably a decent projects to wet my teeth on.

One other question: Say I wanted to wire it to a switch so I could switch between normal controls and reversed (for Megaman Collection). What kind of switch would be to use?

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:25 am

A DPDT switch.

Flipped one way it will connect one side of each tact to A and B.
Flipped the other way it will connect the same side with B and A
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance