To Scale Desktop Arcade Cabinet

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

ArmchairArmada
To Scale Desktop Arcade Cabinet

Post by ArmchairArmada » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:51 pm

I seen this link to some mini arcade cabinets that someone was making and I thought it would be really cool if I could have a to scale arcade machine on my desk that I can really play games on. Then I remembered the Jakks Play TV Retro Arcade games.

I would like to have it be to-scale to a real arcade machine while standing under one foot tall (maybe even less than 8 inches.) To be able to pull this all together I will need to find a screen that will work with this scale. I am also torn about the joystick. Those Jakks games seem to have nice buttons and joystick, but they would not be to scale to the actual mini cabinet.

I would like to avoid soldering and other electronics modding as much as possible. Simply being able to stick the guts of the TV game in a box and hook up a short AV cable to a tiny screen will be ideal. It also needs to be as cheap as possible -- I don't have much cash and if it's too expensive I might call it off.

If anyone made a similar to-scale desktop arcade cabinet I would really love to see some pictures of it. I've seen someone make a portable version and it had a nice screen about the size I think I would need.

ArmchairArmada

Re: To Scale Desktop Arcade Cabinet

Post by ArmchairArmada » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:15 pm

Found this article about a Neo Geo mini arcade cabinet. It gives me a good idea of what size a five inch screen would be like. It's just the upper half of an arcade cabinet, which is certainly enough, but I still think actual cabinet dimensions would be neat.