NES PC

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

gggelo
Re: NES PC

Post by gggelo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:30 pm

nevermind1534 wrote:all that dual channel usually means, is that you get a kit of two modules of memory. Go ahead and get the cheapest 4GB kit if you want to put the full 4GB in it.

If you go with a core 2 duo or anything fancy like that, you will also have more space constraints, because of the requirement for a larger heatsink, unless you do water cooling.

I can get a dvd drive recommendation for you shortly.
i'll look into that on my next build, there's a couple of ways to go through the cooling with the higher processors, i've seen a blower made and funnel'd into the upper vents so that one's still a doozy but it'll be in the future so i'll worry about it then.

thanks for the heads up on the ram, i tried looking up dual channel and it showed me a 2gb ram set for 160 =/

gggelo

Post by gggelo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:46 pm

vskid wrote:Mobo:
The ION board should be good enough to be used as an HD media player. The only thing it'll struggle with is newer games.
If you really want a power house, you should be able to keep the 9300 cool. I would mount the fan on the side of the heatsink and have the exhaust air ducted to outside the case. Then you won't have as much heat hanging around inside the case. I would plan on getting a dedicated GPU if you get the 9300, the onboard graphics are comparable to the ION and will really hold it back for gaming.

Storage:
Unless you plan on dropping your NES PC often, I would just use hard drives. The SSD will be faster, but probably not noticeably.

Disc drive:
The slim external drives are the same as laptop drives, so probably a good chance they'll be IDE. It shouldn't be too hard to find a SATA slim drive.
yeah i don't know why people would get the ion f-e when all it has is a pcie x16 express slots, the graphics may be better but your processor'll be holding you back.

when i do make a 9300 build (or whatever is best) i'll be putting a dedicated gpu and it'll be a minimum c2d if not a q2d, unless again, the future rapidly grows again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJMGAdpCLVg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ shows how much a difference in ssd and hdd is but for that much improvement for that many dollars i'm starting to think it's one sided.

still deciding on the disc drive since if i were to sell this nes for a future nes build having a bluray player would help..

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:35 pm

Here's a few suggestions for memory:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... -_-Product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductLis ... GB&x=0&y=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure how well the reaper will fit into the NES case.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:35 pm

eagle5953 wrote:
rikitheshadow wrote:When wanting to attach a DVD drive in the cartridge slot that will still cut down on space you have available inside for your mobo and hard drive. To clear up space you will have to cut out that "T" to make enough space......to consider having room for the CPU's heat sync between that DVD drive.
Not necessarily - I helped a friend make an NESpc, and we put a disk drive in it without cutting out the T. It depends on how tall the heat sink is, and you need to use a laptop disk drive. It's half the height.
Thats the thing though, most Mini ITX boards have tall heat sinks for their size. And I did use a Laptop Hard Drive. You really have to consider what space he needs to attach everything and still provide decent cooling. It's fine if he doesn't want to remove the "T" shape inside the case, but that might limit the size of his disk drive down to a laptop drives. The eject method is completely different on a laptop drive than a Desktop's drive. Plus it could prove to be more difficult to wire the Reset switch to the eject button of a laptop disk drive.

Not to mention if he wants to keep the buttons in the NES, he'll need to have his Mini ITX board mounted above the switches. There isn't any room below them if the "T" has not been removed.

Sorry late response, so its a little behind from when he said he'll probably be using a Laptop DVD drive.
Last edited by rikitheshadow on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:40 pm

vskid wrote:Disc drive:
The slim external drives are the same as laptop drives, so probably a good chance they'll be IDE. It shouldn't be too hard to find a SATA slim drive.
Most slim external drives that are USB powered are SATA, but have a specialized adapter.
Now possibly the old external drives that required a wall outlet to operate are IDE.

gggelo

Post by gggelo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:57 pm

hey riki, its still a probobly though, if it'll be really too hard to have a laptop drive then i can always change it?
if space allows anyways,

i saw this

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6409/dsc04672j.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and thought about how to do it, it seems like a good space saver!

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:11 pm

gggelo wrote:hey riki, its still a probobly though, if it'll be really too hard to have a laptop drive then i can always change it?
if space allows anyways,

i saw this

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6409/dsc04672j.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and thought about how to do it, it seems like a good space saver!

Neato, ya it might be able to save some space, but from the looks of it he/she cut out the bottom "T" area.
Problem with have the switches the way they are is because the height at which they are mounted. Unless you can find a small form factor mobo.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:35 pm

Now that you say it, I do remember having difficulty trying to fit it in with the switches. I think we chopped up the reset (didn't need it for anything, other than looks), but the power worked for power. I believe we wedged the mini-itx board under the switches portion.

Whatever we did, yes, it did need attention (as we kept the T portion in place).

gggelo

Post by gggelo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:06 am

rikitheshadow wrote: Neato, ya it might be able to save some space, but from the looks of it he/she cut out the bottom "T" area.
Problem with have the switches the way they are is because the height at which they are mounted. Unless you can find a small form factor mobo.
so your saying that the original mobo vs this i'll still be having a problem? darn. i thought that with that it'll atleast save some space..

gggelo

Post by gggelo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:32 pm

well I got sick of waiting for replies and over priced nes consoles so I went thrift store shopping yesterday! found a system at value village for 15! but no wires or controllers but not bad, not in great shape either but just small scratches all over and a little dent on one of the corners

does everbody's nes door squeek? I find it very irritating and so far vegetable oil silenced it a bit but looking for more fixes (wd40 anyone?)

I got home rather late last night and had to wake up early for work but couldn't help but open up the nes there was white dust on the end of each screw so it's nice to know nobody has yet tinkered with this one but since I have no cables or controllers or games I have no way o seeing if this one works so I'm hoping to borrow some oft friends just to see and etc

gggelo

Post by gggelo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:22 pm

Hey guys! I'm at a somewhat ready to buy stage and just wanna see what you guys think and stuff!

Mobo:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6813500027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RAM:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6820231122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HDD:
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku= ... omoid=1060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DVD/CD:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6827118034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
+ http://ncix.com/products/?sku=36565&vpn ... gies%20Inc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OR

Blu Ray:
http://www.memoryhouse.com/products/409 ... ogy/TOB02/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i was hoping ncix would have a good sale this week but i don't see any, if you guys have any suggestions or know of better items for the same or less price please share! also if you think i'm missing or needing anything please tell me that too :)

some bad news though, my tv doesn't have a vga, dvi or hdmi port, it's those yellow white red ports and there's also 2 s cables, i've heard that vga to s video's picture' quality is terrible so i'm a bit lost now, anyone have any thoughts?

also thought of cutting the back ports (ac adaptor and etc) and making it like a door? i just need it large enough to put the plug through and then close the door and have the wire come through the hole? i'm not sure if that made any sense but yeah, seemed like a really good idea!

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:03 pm

I like the board you picked in regards that it comes with everything to power it and built in wireless. Problem is that it looks that the only available video out is VGA or DVI, which could compromise the stock look of the NES. It looked like that it had a composite video out, but from what the specs read that its coaxial........which i'm not sure if its referring to video out coaxial.......even IF.....you would only be able to use coaxial enabled televisions. Probably could use the NES's original RF box on it.

Not a 100% S/PDIF Out - Coaxial is actual RF - Video.

In regards to everything else....as long as it's slim it should be fine.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:38 pm

gggelo wrote:some bad news though, my tv doesn't have a vga, dvi or hdmi port, it's those yellow white red ports and there's also 2 s cables, i've heard that vga to s video's picture' quality is terrible so i'm a bit lost now, anyone have any thoughts?
It might be good enough for emulators and movies. If you have to buy a converter for it to work, I would just save the money and put it towards a new TV. Composite and s-video from computers always looks like crap.
rikitheshadow wrote:I like the board you picked in regards that it comes with everything to power it and built in wireless. Problem is that it looks that the only available video out is VGA or DVI, which could compromise the stock look of the NES. It looked like that it had a composite video out, but from what the specs read that its coaxial........which i'm not sure if its referring to video out coaxial.......even IF.....you would only be able to use coaxial enabled televisions. Probably could use the NES's original RF box on it.

Not a 100% S/PDIF Out - Coaxial is actual RF - Video.
It is S/PDIF for sure, no video. It is the orange RCA port.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:47 pm

If he's using the NES-PC to play emulators than Composite or S-Video out will do just fine. It gives most of the older games a more authentic look from the old days.

Plus anything below 800x600 will look alright, when doing projects like this your not exactly aiming for the highest quality video.

Unless he plans on using this for normal PC usage, like processing word.docs, browsing the internet, and playing some of the higher quality video games.

gggelo

Post by gggelo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:06 pm

well i was actually thinking of using this to replace our current dvd player + stream tv shows + emulate systems (up to psx) so the loss in quality's a big bummer :(