My idea for a knock-off house of the dead 2 cabinet

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

stuntpenguin007
My idea for a knock-off house of the dead 2 cabinet

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:49 am

I'm looking into making a small piece of homebrew that runs on the dreamcast. Here's the general idea.

1. I would build a cabinet and have it run off of a Dreamcast with house of the dead 2

2. I would have this homebrew / mod disc loaded in first, and then swapped with the "House of the dead 2" disc.

3. The homebrew would scan the ram for the text "Press start to play" and change it to "Credits 0/2" Then I would have a coin slot rigged up so when a coin is inserted it connects the X button to gnd, and the homebrew would change the text to "Credits 1/2" when X is pressed. The idea is that the X button isn't on the light gun, so there's no way to get free credits. Canceling out the start button actually starting the game seems like it would be a big hurdle, but, its just an idea. Now to get coding :wink:
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

HardcoreLewscher

Re: My idea for a knock-off house of the dead 2 cabinet

Post by HardcoreLewscher » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:18 pm

sounds fun, cool, yet unneccessarry work,
but if thats what works then good luck man, sound interesting :P
\¯\/¯/ |¯|)¯) /¯/\¯\ \¯\/¯/
/_/\_\ |_|)_) \_\/_/ /_/\_\
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

stuntpenguin007

Re: My idea for a knock-off house of the dead 2 cabinet

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:31 pm

I found this article on making codebreaker codes for the DC.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamca ... 6412/11357" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That might be easier than making some homebrew to do it, but then I couldn't make a variable for credits.

All that's really left is to find a practical way to snoop around the ram, but so far that hasn't gone too well for me.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%