Panasonic 3DO FZ-1 Disc Read/Spin Problems

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

gage
Panasonic 3DO FZ-1 Disc Read/Spin Problems

Post by gage » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:55 am

I have a Panasonic 3DO model FZ-1 which turns on and loads the main screen, but does not play any type of disc. I took the entire thing completely apart, cleaned the laser, detached and reattached all of the ribbon cables, greased the worm gear and guide bar on the laser and...nothing.

When I put a game disc in, the disc doesn't spin, the laser doesn't fire up or move or anything. (I'm looking at it with the case apart. I verified the worm gear motor and disc spin motor are good by hooking them up to a AA battery and verifying they spin. There are a few connections that appear to do with the system knowing the disc tray is closed, and I've tried to manually trip these, to no avail.

Has anybody else had the "disc not spinning/laser not firing" issue with a 3DO? Anybody know where I could buy a replacement laser? Perhaps this is a common issue amongst disc-based consoles.

If anybody has a fix or could lend some troubleshooting tips, I'd greatly appreciate it.