Coming Soon NES-PC Build Log

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534
Re: Coming Soon NES-PC Build Log

Post by nevermind1534 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:41 pm

To hook it up with the composite cable (yellow plug), you'll need it set at a resolution of 640*480 if you don't want everything to be blurry.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:36 pm

Well windows won't allow to go down past 800x600, nor would the graphics controller. Anyway I heard I can go through and adjust the window box size in the video settings to see if that would help some with the text. So you know its not to small and blurred....On a second note i went ahead and bought a VGA to Composite Video cable from Ebay for like $2, I'll try it when it comes in, see if the quality changes. I mean as far as the S-Video to Composite Video adapter i bought the VGA would be cheaper if there is no difference......Radioshack charges $24 for that S-Video adapter.........................though no one else seems to carry it, i tried Best Buy and Frys.....

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:22 pm

Right now i got a straight VGA to my TV and i'm tampering with some settings. Updating windows and so on so forth.
Loading up some pics here of the PC guts to go inside the NES so some people may have more to look at. Its a Build Log!

Total of the whole PC parts on an anti-static work mat
The PC-mobo, it is running btw....camera is fast enough to pause fan
The netbook harddrive, btw the blue thing is a harddrive cooling unit....i'm ripping the fans off and putting them in the NES for extra cooling of the case. They seem big enough, pre-wired, and pretty quiet. It cost $9 at Frys

Windows XP on a 22" inch LCD by Samsung

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:27 am

So, are you going to use your cart slot idea on this then?

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:13 pm

eagle5953 wrote:So, are you going to use your cart slot idea on this then?
Possibility if i can work out the space issues. I wanna keep the stock look of the NES without serious modification.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:08 am

Of course. PLEASE tell me you aren't cutting out the bottom! Many people cut out part of the "T" at the bottom. I always think it looks best when 5 of the 6 sides look stock.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:00 pm

Ya, I'm leaving that intact. The only thing I will be cutting up is the screw posts inside. I really plan to get the stealth look across. My DVD player mod didn't look so pretty, I had to cut out some of the bottom for the controller board and display component, and the getting the holes done on the back for the cable hook ups was not to pretty either. None of the edges where smooth, SO i really do plan on keeping this NES like 99.9% intact in this mod.

Doing so would probably take up a good amount of space leaving little or no room for my NES Cart mod idea. Really I was just shooting the breeze, throwing out a crazy idea that ran through my mind. Though I admit, having a PC drive bay that can except removable internal usage hard drives would be kinda neat. I mean you could design like a smaller looking NES drive enclosure that accepts the NES cart mods.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:11 pm

*UPDATE*

I may be scrapping the S-Video to Composite Video, the quality looks really bad. I bought VGA to Composite Video adapter for $2 off ebay, need to test it, could care less about its quality over the S-Video as long as its not too bad. Considering the $24 price tag on the S-Video converter from radioshack.......

I purchased some parts today, its priority shipping so who knows when. Anyway its from RetroZone, I bought 2x USB mods for NES controllers. http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.ph ... ucts_id=44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Figure they are cheaper than buying the pre-wired USB controller port that would require me to chop up with a dremel tool.
I'll just remove the USB cable from the chip and re-wire to a USB header on the PC mobo, and solder the connections from the existing controller ports on my NES shell to the chip. Saving about $4 dollars lol, but overall i don't risk chopping up the USB chips.

Another note, I still need to work on the MaLa gamefront, unless i decide to use GameEX. If anyone has some suggestions on those it would very appreciated.

And last but not least, I had an idea to get a Bi-Color LED for the NES. The first color (Red) would be routed to the power indicator on the PC mobo, second color (Blue or Green...) would be routed the the hard drive activity indicator on the PC mobo. Sadly it looks like Radioshack doesn't carry much in terms of Bi-Color LEDs that would work for my idea. Anyone know some 3.3v Bi-Color (2 colored) LEDs? Red has to be a primary color, I don't care about the 2nd color.....And does a LED from a PC mobo require to have a resistor? Or do they have it already wired up on the PC mobo's output?

nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:19 pm

rikitheshadow wrote:And last but not least, I had an idea to get a Bi-Color LED for the NES. The first color (Red) would be routed to the power indicator on the PC mobo, second color (Blue or Green...) would be routed the the hard drive activity indicator on the PC mobo. Sadly it looks like Radioshack doesn't carry much in terms of Bi-Color LEDs that would work for my idea. Anyone know some 3.3v Bi-Color (2 colored) LEDs? Red has to be a primary color, I don't care about the 2nd color.....And does a LED from a PC mobo require to have a resistor? Or do they have it already wired up on the PC mobo's output?
Nope; you don't need a resistor. That's why the cords inside your computer (for the LEDs) are just plain wires.

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:21 pm

I have two bi-color LEDs, both red-green and take 2.7v, if you want one from me. Otherwise, you could probably find one on Mouser.com.

Also, before you give up on s-video to composite, try this:
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've used it once and it looked almost as good as s-video, and actually better than composite! It says to use a 470pf cap, but I used a .1uf cap and it looked fine.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:55 pm

Mario wrote:I have two bi-color LEDs, both red-green and take 2.7v, if you want one from me. Otherwise, you could probably find one on Mouser.com.

Also, before you give up on s-video to composite, try this:
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've used it once and it looked almost as good as s-video, and actually better than composite! It says to use a 470pf cap, but I used a .1uf cap and it looked fine.
His diagram and picture look confusing. Is the cap wired to both 3 and 4 and then to the Composite Video? Picture looks iffy from the angle he shot it....thats all, i just want to make sure I got it right. I might keep this male s-video connector if it works out better than Radioshack's overpriced adapter.

Still have to get home and test that VGA to RCA adapter.

nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:26 pm

rikitheshadow wrote:Still have to get home and test that VGA to RCA adapter.
Unless you have the res set at 640*480, I maintain that it will still be blurry.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:16 pm

The VGA to RCA composite video adapter doesn't work....at all. My TV keeps saying no input. Anyway pretty stupid looking thing, they have Audio ports coming from a VGA input.......what.......really......... :facepalm:

Gonna rough it out with the ebay seller, even though it was $2.......i hate scammers. (If that is the case)
nevermind1534 wrote:
rikitheshadow wrote:Still have to get home and test that VGA to RCA adapter.
Unless you have the res set at 640*480, I maintain that it will still be blurry.
**NOTED**
As I said before, my mini itx's on board video can not go lower than 800x600 in windows.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:24 pm

rikitheshadow wrote:The VGA to RCA composite video adapter doesn't work....at all. My TV keeps saying no input. Anyway pretty stupid looking thing, they have Audio ports coming from a VGA input.......what.......really......... :facepalm:
Ya, I thought thats what you got. Those only work if your GPU supports it, I don't know of any that do. I bought one a few years ago thinking the same thing.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:26 pm

Ebay note says VGA and SVGA, assuming that SVGA stands for the supported material. Still false advertising to me, the seller has some negative feedback, some noted as they are scammers. Though overall the seller has like a 90+ rating.

/sigh....back to the drawing board.