How do you score all this stuff?

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Super Cameraman
How do you score all this stuff?

Post by Super Cameraman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:59 pm

I see a bunch of threads showing how people have arcade machines and boards and parts and things... How do you all get it? I mean, do you look in specific places, or do you just find this stuff? Or do you buy them online? Is this stuff cheap, free like someone is throwing it out? I don't get it.
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

snowpenguin

Re: How do you score all this stuff?

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:02 pm

You're looking for arcade boards? Your best bet is probably a local arcade repair shop. :wink:

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:42 pm

Well, I found my empty cab easily. It was outside someone's garage for three weeks, so I drove by and knocked on the door. They were trying to get rid of it, so I came back with help and a truck.

As for the guts, still deciding what I'll do. I'm hoping to be able to buy an MK board off Oniak, since I've ALWAYS wanted an MK machine. I'd really like to somehow have all the MK arcade boards in it, but I'm not sure if it's possible.

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, here's a quick vid.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:06 pm

To get my cabinet, I posted a topic on RGVAC. Most of my boards I got from eBay, with a couple I bought off of members of arcadecontrols.com .

Value (particularly on eBay) of cabs and boards vary by money-making ability (i.e. still making money in commercial locations), popularity, and rarity (in that order). A great deal of older game(late 80's early 90's) boards can be gotten off eBay for less than $20 each.

arfink

Post by arfink » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:40 pm

Local arcade dealers are a great source, as are forums dedicated to the collecting/playing/selling of old arcade games. I get probably %90 of my Neo Geo MVS stuff from the Neo-Geo.com forums. eBay is nice, but high fees and sneaky personalities are making finding what you want much harder, especially at the prices you want.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!