Noob question.

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Oniak
Noob question.

Post by Oniak » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:34 pm

If I bought something like this(Or even a jamma board):
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... %26otn%3D2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
how would I add controls, tv, power etc. I've never dealt with arcades before so don't be harsh. And where would be the best place for one to get arcade parts?

chainfire95

Re: Noob question.

Post by chainfire95 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:19 am

You would have an easier time simply creating a custom arcade controller linked to a computer emulation system. The inner workings of an authentic arcade system are quite complex.
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:47 pm

rogerwillson wrote:I will not follow your link. If you want solution then tell me in detail here. :)
That's paranoia, it's just an eBay Canada link to a one slot MVS.
chainfire95 wrote:You would have an easier time simply creating a custom arcade controller linked to a computer emulation system. The inner workings of an authentic arcade system are quite complex.
Actually, with the exception of the game board itself, the inner workings are actually very simple in most arcade games. The joysticks, buttons, and coin slots are just switches(electrically), the monitor on most games is an RGB monitor, and a fairly standard power supply.
Oniak wrote:If I bought something like this(Or even a jamma board):
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... %26otn%3D2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
how would I add controls, tv, power etc. I've never dealt with arcades before so don't be harsh. And where would be the best place for one to get arcade parts?
Controls are just switches electrically, TV is a little more complicated since you're in North America, so you'll need an RGB to NTSC converter, and most normal PC power supplies can be used. happcontrols.com is one the most popular places to get arcade stuff in North America. This looks like an OK build document for a SuperGun(for some unknown reason what you want is called this): http://www.scribd.com/doc/15743590/Super-Gun-Build" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:57 pm

I meant if he was to build it from scratch.
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

Oniak

Post by Oniak » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:28 pm

rogerwillson wrote:I will not follow your link. If you want solution then tell me in detail here. :)
1. I'm a trusted member here.
2. Are you really that cautious? Seriously? Its the internet oooohhh scary link.

Anyways it would be more expensive but a more authentic arcade would be nice. If I did go for emulation, how would I go about that?

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:55 am

Oniak wrote:Anyways it would be more expensive but a more authentic arcade would be nice. If I did go for emulation, how would I go about that?
Basically, instead of an arcade board you have an encoder to PC signals hooked to the joysticks and buttons(either a gamepad hack, or a keyboard encoder like the iPac). You can forego the RGB to NTSC, and use a video card with TV-out (or just use a PC monitor). Pretty much the same difficulty either way you go. See http://www.arcadecontrols.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oniak

Post by Oniak » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:42 pm

tom61 wrote:
Oniak wrote:Anyways it would be more expensive but a more authentic arcade would be nice. If I did go for emulation, how would I go about that?
Basically, instead of an arcade board you have an encoder to PC signals hooked to the joysticks and buttons(either a gamepad hack, or a keyboard encoder like the iPac). You can forego the RGB to NTSC, and use a video card with TV-out (or just use a PC monitor). Pretty much the same difficulty either way you go. See http://www.arcadecontrols.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link.