Arcade joystick questions.

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

gamer404
Arcade joystick questions.

Post by gamer404 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:42 am

So I want to make an arcade fight pad for my SNES(I figured it would go here since it deals with arcade joysticks) I assume this diagram will work with a d-pad(as it is really 4 buttons) and any old potentiometer.

My question is, do Arcade joysticks(The big ones with the ball on top) work the same as a potentiometer you find in a game controller?

*As a side note, do you guys know where to find a arcade joystick or the fat buttons you find on the arcade machines?*

XCVG

Re: Arcade joystick questions.

Post by XCVG » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:36 pm

No, arcade joysticks are digital with 4 switches. It's like replacing a dpad with tacts.

As for where, Happ and Akihabarashop come to mind for some reason. There's way more, but I'm too lazy to look them up. Google is your friend.

gamer404

Post by gamer404 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:02 pm

Ahh... So easier than a potentiometer?

And is this a good deal?
http://www.xgaming.com/arcade_bundle.shtml

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:27 pm

It's a DECENT deal, but not very colourful and of dubious quality. It would be better to buy pieces individually from an arcade supplier. Search these names: Akihabarashop, Happ Controls, Lizard Lick (seriously), and ArcadeShop.