Can I use a cheap-o Joypad for Arcade controls?

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Xeron
Can I use a cheap-o Joypad for Arcade controls?

Post by Xeron » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:18 am

I plan on building 2 arcade cabinets with my friend. We have access to arcade parts through a distributor and can get them at relatively cheap prices. Anyways...

We plan on throwing PCs in each cabinet and running emulators on them. But we ran into a small problem: connecting arcade joysticks and buttons to a PC via usb cheap. We went through a few arcade machines at work and found a part that treats switches as a keyboard. We checked on a replacement part and found it to be $100. We also went online and searched and can't seem to get below $50. We have to spend $100 each on cabinets and around $40 in controls & we're trying to keep this as low budget as possible, definitely under $200 (we already have spare PCs & CRT monitors for now).

So my question: Can I use a cheap joypad from walmart for the arcade controller? I don't mean instead of arcade joysticks, but I mean ripping apart the controller & soldering wires from the switches to the pcb of the joypad.

If anyone has done this before, feedback & pics would be nice.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:01 pm

Yes, it can be done. Check www.arcadecontrols.com

arfink

Post by arfink » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:09 am

Yeah, I do this all the time. BUT, make sure you build it solidly so people beating on the machine don't break these things.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:11 am

Yeah, it'll work. Make sure you get one with enough buttons.

Killer_Rabbit

Post by Killer_Rabbit » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:22 pm

If you're using a PC in the cabinet, you don't need a special part or anything. Just use Joy2Key.

http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/Jo ... ersion.htm

It's excellent. As long as your controllers have a D-Pad and at least eight or so buttons, you should be fine. You want at least six arcade buttons for each player so you can play fighters, and then a few extras for MAME functions (insert coin, P1 & P2 start, etc.).

JAY

Post by JAY » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:51 pm

You could also directly wire the switches for your joysticks and buttons to an old keyboard circuit board. No extra hardware or software needed.

tom61

Re:

Post by tom61 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:04 pm

JAY wrote:You could also directly wire the switches for your joysticks and buttons to an old keyboard circuit board. No extra hardware or software needed.
It's a pain to figure out matrix, there's issues of key blocking (one key might not be registered if certain others aren't pressed), and key masking issues (pressing a combination of keys might yield another key entirely). Not recommended, a joypad hack is simpler, almost as cheap, and no multiple button press issues.

khaag

Re: Can I use a cheap-o Joypad for Arcade controls?

Post by khaag » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:10 pm

You can get the KeyWiz Max for $35 and it works great. I used it in my MAME cabinet. Has controls already all defaulted for MAME and supports tons of buttons.

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/inde ... cts_id=199
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:18 pm

The problem with keyboard interfaces is that the EMULATE A KEYBOARD, which is undesirable. Ideally you want to emulate a joystick.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:41 pm

XCVG wrote:The problem with keyboard interfaces is that the EMULATE A KEYBOARD, which is undesirable. Ideally you want to emulate a joystick.
If they do it right, as the ones designed for MAME do, the limitations of most normal keyboards no longer apply.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:05 pm

SPAM?
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:13 pm

It was, but I reported it and it's gone now.
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.