Street Fighter 2 Arcade Problems

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king
Street Fighter 2 Arcade Problems

Post by HotDog-Cart » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:48 pm

Hey guys. My local game store, recently purchased a Street Fighter 2 Arcade machine.

Its titled: Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition. And on the marquee it says: Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition Gold Black Gold Belt.

This machine is pretty old, and it says like 78 (or something like that) possible matches on it and stuff. (referring to character vs character or something. It also says "All new: Same Character vs Same Character Mode, and play as boss!).

But, theres something wrong with the machine. When you put 25 cents into it, it takes about 1-5 minutes to actually load from the Title screen onto the character select screen.

Also, for some reason this arcade cabinet seems to be MODDED. (Be prepared to say "WTF". I'll get a video of the game when I can).

Its modded like this: ANY enemy can teleport, and some moves are altered. Like Chunli's fast kick also shoots out Sonic Booms, and ryu can shoot 6 hudokens at once. Also, when fighting character vs same character (like Chunli vs Chunli), after about a minute both characters change the same color, and its impossible to tell them apart.

The store wants to set it back to factory settings somehow, any ideas how?

Sharp Sapphire
Portablizer

Post by Sharp Sapphire » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:53 am

is this another "i got scammed but im covering it up" type deals?
Things I need to purchase for my NES Laptop:
1X PSone screen
6X 1.2v 3500mAh sub-C's
1X 1/8'' to RCA stereo Adapater
1X Radioshack repair kit

..yeaaaaah...

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:57 am

Errr.. No? :S

The local store near me called Gamepower, purchased one of these machines. The owner asked me why these problems are happening with it. I actually think its more fun to play with the modifications/glitches but he doesnt. Does anyone know how to maybe reverse the modification if there is one?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:20 pm

Most likely, the ROM has been replaced with a modified one. You would have to open it up, see if you can reflash it with an original one.

In arcade competitions,they often have to check the rom of the machine people are playing, they sometimes modify it so the enemy is dumber, moves slower, etc.

Excellent

andoba

Post by andoba » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:14 pm

It has a hacked board. Just get an original SF2 board from Neo Amusement, it'll set you back around 40$ and is JAMMA.
Family Computer Micro (Famicom Micro): 10%!

My collection! Beware 56k! Not updated! SOON

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:43 pm

Woah, only $40? I should tell him.

Question: Since the board is only $40, would it be possible to hook a monitor up to that and basically build my own arcade machine? (Or does it not work like that? :P)

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:16 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:Woah, only $40? I should tell him.

Question: Since the board is only $40, would it be possible to hook a monitor up to that and basically build my own arcade machine? (Or does it not work like that? :P)
Yes, but it needs to be a specific monitor, as most computer monitors won't take the sync rate most JAMMA boards put out. You could also build an adapter for your TV, see: http://www.multimods.com/superguns.html or search a bit on google for 'JAMMA Supergun'.

Auken

Post by Auken » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:02 am

And if he wants to let go of that board that's in there, plkease let me know. I love SF2 boots.
"Keep your goals away from the trolls." - Fortune Cookie

"What good is having this accursed hand, if I can't use it to save the woman I love?" - I am not a big Inuyasha fan, but this line makes me cry

arfink

Post by arfink » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Hmm, loading time isn't actually loading time- it's the decryption routine. The original SF2 had lots of encryption on the chips (as far as I know all the ROM data was encrypted) and needs to be decrypted. That works fine with the original roms, very fast etc. But in order to make it work with a hacked up ROM you need to get around that decryption, and depending on what the "seed" being used in the algorithm is that can take a while for the hardware to handle. To eliminate loading time, replace the hacked chips with originals. Or you could get the latest MAME rom and burn yourself some chips with the original encrypted data on them.

EDIT: this might not work if the hardware has been more extensively modded, which to get around the cryptography chips it may have been. In that case, yes you should get a new mobo.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:56 pm

to build an arcade setup is pretty easy, a full jamma harness is about 20$ shipped off of ebay, as far as monitor any of the old amiga/comodore RGB monitors will work just fine. The CPS2 boards had one notorious problem, the "suicide battery" which refers to the battery on the board that keeps the ram storing the encryption data alive, removing this battery or letting it die renders the board useless, since they cracked the encryption its not as big a deal anymore but be careful of that!

Drakon

Post by Drakon » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:28 pm

Triton wrote:to build an arcade setup is pretty easy, a full jamma harness is about 20$ shipped off of ebay, as far as monitor any of the old amiga/comodore RGB monitors will work just fine. The CPS2 boards had one notorious problem, the "suicide battery" which refers to the battery on the board that keeps the ram storing the encryption data alive, removing this battery or letting it die renders the board useless, since they cracked the encryption its not as big a deal anymore but be careful of that!
well, good thing this version of sf2 isn't cps2

LoyalistRevolt

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:31 pm

You won't be able to set it back unless you have a way to completely wipe the old rom and put in a new one. The modding is most likely the the cause of the 5 min loading!
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."