Jamma console

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator
Jamma console

Post by Sparkfist » Thu May 01, 2008 11:26 am

Ok this is really a question for those that have been to the MGC more, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about please let me know.

There was a (I believe) Jamma board built into an arcade controls deck, had the good old joysicks and buttons, and connected to a TV. Does anyone know what that thing is called? At the MGC they had Chibi Fighters on it.

Thanks for any help.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Thu May 01, 2008 3:48 pm

In general, those are called "Super Guns" (name comes from the first console that used Jamma games.) Plenty of tutorials out there to build your own, and a handful available to buy

c_mon
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by c_mon » Fri May 02, 2008 2:24 pm

Yeah! Superguns are great for arcade games. For example, I have this supergun:

http://www.vogatek.com/

and that works great as it gives the image through a scart output. That means you have R/G/B quality. Great!:D

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri May 02, 2008 4:47 pm

c_mon, how do you get games for or connect games too that motherboard?

I've been looking around for some of these things and their cool as hell, but does anyone know where I could get either a MVS motherboard for (prepare to laugh) under $100, or the motherboard for the Konami "The Simpsons" arcade game.

I know that no standard Superguns will have those, so I figured I'd go with what I want first.

P.S. Any suggested sites for Joysticks?
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment

I am a geek.

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Fri May 02, 2008 5:40 pm

Sparkfist wrote:P.S. Any suggested sites for Joysticks?
I got just the joystick from from a Namco Plug 'n' Play thats doing nothing if you want it.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Fri May 02, 2008 5:51 pm

This is the best joystick available. Everybody at the Evolution tournament had them. I used a couple and they were awesome..

http://www.happ.com/joysticks/50608300.htm

If that is too expensive get this.

http://www.happ.com/joysticks/competition_joy.htm
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

c_mon

Post by c_mon » Fri May 02, 2008 9:16 pm

Sparkfist wrote:c_mon, how do you get games for or connect games too that motherboard?

I've been looking around for some of these things and their cool as hell, but does anyone know where I could get either a MVS motherboard for (prepare to laugh) under $100, or the motherboard for the Konami "The Simpsons" arcade game.

I know that no standard Superguns will have those, so I figured I'd go with what I want first.

P.S. Any suggested sites for Joysticks?

You can buy MVS motherboard or jamma games from e-bay, as I did...

MVS 1 slot motherboards go around 50-60$ and for "The Simpsons" pcb you must have 150$ at least.

BTW, the supergun I'm using is not sold anymore. The e-bay guy who used to sell them is building another supergun nowadays. He will soon be selling it on e-bay...

c_mon

Post by c_mon » Sun May 04, 2008 7:34 am

some images for the supergun in action:

enjoy!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun May 04, 2008 9:54 am

Looks nice, really nice. What's the power requirements that the board needs? Cause I really think a tower PSU is kind of.... big. Also did you have to do any wiring to the Genesis controller or just wire up a connector?

I'm hoping to be able to get going on one potentially. That is if I can get either a Jamma board (single game) or even better a MVS. One last question, most if not all MVS use one joystick and six buttons?

I am a geek.

c_mon

Post by c_mon » Sun May 04, 2008 11:05 am

Sparkfist wrote:Looks nice, really nice. What's the power requirements that the board needs? Cause I really think a tower PSU is kind of.... big. Also did you have to do any wiring to the Genesis controller or just wire up a connector?

I'm hoping to be able to get going on one potentially. That is if I can get either a Jamma board (single game) or even better a MVS. One last question, most if not all MVS use one joystick and six buttons?
Standard jamma boards need 12volts, 5volts and -5volts but Neo Geo MVS boards need just 12volts and 5volts.

With this supergun I'm using a pc PSU; it has all the required voltages.

Also this supergun accepts Sega Genesis controllers thanks to a couple of reproggrammed chips on it.

To your last question, MVS games use four buttons. It may be less but not more.

Finally, if you are building your own supergun for a MVS board, you can use a small wall adaptor which is 12volts at 2A. As MVS boards need 12 volts and 5 volts you can seperate the power and step down one of the power wires to 5 volts by using a 7805IC.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed May 07, 2008 6:36 am

c_mon wrote:MVS 1 slot motherboards go around 50-60$ and for "The Simpsons" pcb you must have 150$ at least.
Finding a MVS for $50-60 wasn't easy. I can't believe that there are so many people that want nearly $200 for like a one or two slot system. I did find one, now I just need to buy a game, some ply wood, wiring harness, and controls.

Besides the obvious like Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury, what would be a good game to buy for this, for two players? Let's keep in mind I have money, but not deep pockets.

I am a geek.

c_mon

Post by c_mon » Wed May 07, 2008 5:49 pm

Sparkfist wrote:
c_mon wrote:MVS 1 slot motherboards go around 50-60$ and for "The Simpsons" pcb you must have 150$ at least.
Finding a MVS for $50-60 wasn't easy. I can't believe that there are so many people that want nearly $200 for like a one or two slot system. I did find one, now I just need to buy a game, some ply wood, wiring harness, and controls.

Besides the obvious like Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury, what would be a good game to buy for this, for two players? Let's keep in mind I have money, but not deep pockets.
C'mon man! One-slot boards are sold around 60$ on e-bay. Check the two boards I've recently purchased.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=016

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=016

BTW, I like Ninja Combat, Ninja Masters, KOF series on NEO GEO besides Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown. I have Fatal Fury on Genesis.

BTW2, I can reccommend this controller which is good quality:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Arcade-Joysti ... dZViewItem

Good luck on your project. Please keep us informed with your supergun(with pics, please :wink: )...

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed May 07, 2008 7:08 pm

c_mon: Just looking at that board a bit, are those 2 ICs on the left just demultiplexors for the controls?

c_mon

Post by c_mon » Wed May 07, 2008 9:32 pm

That's what I think because these motherboards use Genesis controllers and those controllers won't be OK without those ICs.

arfink

Post by arfink » Wed May 07, 2008 9:34 pm

For joysticks, may I suggest that you look at getting either Seimitsu or Sanwa 8-way sticks? And the same for the buttons. They are extremely nice, I have a set here at home with my MVS. I have beaten the living daylights out of them and they work like the day I bought them. They are also nicer looking and work better and faster than any old Happ joystick. They are also the "stock" joystick on all Neo Geo, Naomi, and Atomiswave systems being imported to the United States and are standard issue in all arcades in Japan. You can order them from akihabarashop.jp

Oh, and if you are getting an MVS I would highly recommend Last Blade (Bakumatsu Roman) possibly one of the best fighting games on the system. Also, for MVS, don't be afraid to get Japanses releases if they are cheaper. All the MVS carts have multiple ROM "masks" for every region, so a Japan MVS cart will actually play in English on an American MVS, and vice versa, without modifications.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!