Jamma console

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

c_mon
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by c_mon » Thu May 08, 2008 8:23 am

gannon wrote:c_mon: Just looking at that board a bit, are those 2 ICs on the left just demultiplexors for the controls?
gannon: just wondering, can you build such a supergun board? I remember your such works on ATARI 2600. Am I wrong?

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu May 08, 2008 10:53 am

The supergun looks fairly simple, all it's doing is demultiplexing the controllers and providing ports for everything to the jamma connector it seems.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu May 15, 2008 1:26 pm

Hey guys, got my MVS! I'd like to start building the controls, but I need some reference, and that's this. Now I know that I can use Adobe Illistrator (thanks Ben) to open and view it. However I don't have any of those fancy CNC tools, so anyone know how to conver it to a PNG or something similar that I can then print out?
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Re: Jamma console

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:30 pm

Ok I'm back. Anyone have a pinout for getting composite from a SCART output? The adapter card I have only outputs in SCART.

Also I'm looking to buy the parts now. So I'm buying two of these joysticks from happ, and the buttons from jammaboards. And this harness should work correct?

Also lastly is there any problem with going with this layout, here.

-Sparkfist

Edit- Just found this, would this be a better option? Has anyone used this hardware, is it of good quality, durability?
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment

I am a geek.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:46 pm

As for the first joystick, no NO NO NO! What you want if you buy from Happ is the Super Joystick. That 49-way joystick WILL NOT WORK! Actually, it will but it will be VERY difficult.

Those pushbuttons would be okay, but Happ has some as well if you want to buy from them.

The harness is fine, but if you could find just the connector it would be better, but you would have to do more soldering.

The combo would not be better as it is all black with no colours. Say it with me- "Colours are fantastic!"

What do you mean adaptor card? What do you have?

EDIT: You do not want that harness. It is incomplete. Just buy a connector and wire it yourself.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:34 pm

I bought a Neo Geo MVS jamma adapter. There are none listed on ebay at the moment. It allows me to connect jamma controls to the MVS, as well power it using ATX power supply, and like I mentioned it uses a SCART output for video.

I need a harness as I need the connector to plug into the adapter. I'll upload an image to show you what I'm working with later today.

-Sparkfist

I am a geek.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:39 pm

Adaptor? You wasted your money! All you would have to do is solder a few wires!

Also, you can't get composite from SCART in this application. All that adaptor does is route the RGB to the SCART pins. I doubt it has an encoder. This leaves you with three options: build an encoder, buy an encoder, or buy an upscan converter (adapts to VGA). There's a how-to guide here: http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/28/how- ... cade-game/
If you buy an encoder I heard good things about the JROK and NeoBitz.

arfink

Post by arfink » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Some tips I would give to you- unless you intend to shell out a large amount of money for a Scart to NTSC converter I would suggest you just skip the SCART all together and go with one of these:

http://www.neobitz.com/Pages/Mods/Neobitz-S_DIY.aspx

I used a NeoBitz-S encoder and it worked well. They are also the cheapest encoders you are going to find, short of getting some free AD725 samples from Analog Devices and building one yourself. I want to say I payed $35 for mine, but I don't remember anymore.

If you want to see how mine turned out, you can look at my blog, which is here:
http://neoretrotechnerd.blogspot.com/20 ... nsole.html

I also just built a new controller today, so I should be taking pictures of it tonight. All I can say now is it's pretty sweet, and I like using it.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Ok well I'm about to buy the buttons and joysticks. So getting all the parts to get this thing working is vital before the 19th. Think I can get that kit by then, or sooner?

@XCVG, I originally wanted to keep things as neat and clean as possible. But it seems I'm not going to be that lucky. Thanks for the link though, I'm going to need it for the PSU hookup.

Tomorrow I'll be starting the case. I got the Overlay so it's time to start getting the button and joysticks positions laid out. And while I'd love to take pictures of this, I don't have the time. If it's not 100% done by MGC I'll at least have images from it's completion there.

-Sparkfist

I am a geek.

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:06 pm

Ahem, I hate to bring back an old topic, but I realized that you guys needed to know something. The video out on these are SCART and the sellers always mention that you can solder to the MB svideo out and such. Heres a faster way to do it....

http://cgi.ebay.com/RGB-Scart-to-3-RCA- ... 240%3A1318

Just pop that sucker on there and you're done.
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:09 pm

That converter is just a pin adaptor, it will not convert RGB.

arfink

Post by arfink » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:02 pm

I talked to Spark at the MGC, and we got it all sorted out, he's using a JROK now and it seems to work very nicely.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:17 am

XCVG wrote:That converter is just a pin adaptor, it will not convert RGB.

Ah, but you assume that one would only use it on an NTSC tv. It would work perfect for that CRT monitor...
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs