The Best of Both Worlds............The console.

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Should I give this project a go?

Yes !
88%
No, you've perverted nature - you freak!
6%
Don't care, I'm too busy drooling over the Multari.
6%

Total votes: 16

jeffslot
Portablizer Extraordinaire
The Best of Both Worlds............The console.

Post by jeffslot » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:19 am

Hi,

Guys. Sure we know Ben loves the Atari 2600, and if you've been around for a bit you know he also has a deep affection for the Neo-Geo MVS. So the other day I was thinking, really just wondering what becomes of all Ben's empty 2600 shells?

Well here is my idea:

Why not combine those two great passions into one console. To quote Miley Cyrus "...it's the best of both worlds..." (Sorry about that my kids are big fans of hers)

Now, the above picture is just my concept, but I'm going to attempt to make this post my work log, very similar to what I'm going to call "Bacteria Style". Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Jeff

palmertech

Re: The Best of Both Worlds............The console.

Post by palmertech » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:35 pm

jeffslot wrote:Hi,

To quote Miley Cyrus "...it's the best of both worlds..." (Sorry about that my kids are big fans of hers)

Jeff
Actually....It is "You get the beeeeeesssst of both worlds!" (Sisters)

Excellent

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:41 pm

jeffslot wrote:Now, the above picture is just my concept, but I'm going to attempt to make this post my work log, very similar to what I'm going to call "Bacteria Style". Please let me know what you think.
Oh, so you're going to make it a square? :P

Can't wait to see where this goes.

LoyalistRevolt

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:07 pm

So youre just going to put the guts of a Neo geo into a atari....fun stuff(!) are you doing this for yourself or to impress ben....
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."

jeffslot

Post by jeffslot » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:28 am

Hmm, Really I can't imagine that anything I'd do would impress Ben, so I'm going with doing it for my self. I thought It was a 'Fun' idea when I had it.

So youre just going to put the guts of a Neo geo into a atari....fun stuff(!) are you doing this for yourself or to impress ben....

arfink

Post by arfink » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:22 pm

Go for it! Only one thing though- putting the MVS slot at an angle. Oh man, if you think you're going to do that I have one word for you- PAIN. I'm sure you already know by now how many pins that thing has- it would be a greatest of great pains in the rear to move that slot. In fact I can feel the pain just thinking about it now.

Other than that, looks like a sweet idea. It would even match just fine, as long as you ditch the ice blue carts and get black ones (I know, people frown on re-casing anything for the Neo, but...)

This would be a good one to do and post on the Neo-Geo.com forums, if only to see their hackles rising. Those guys are such huge fanboys it's really nothing short of ridiculous to watch them. :D
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:43 pm

DO IT!!!

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

jeffslot

Post by jeffslot » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:39 am

Well, I haven't had too much time yet to start working on this project, but I really wanted to get something done to keep it moving.

So here goes.

Drilled a hole for the new power adapter.

Had to use an exacto knife because the plug wouldn't screwe on due to the thickness of the atari's plastic.

This is where my power supply is going to plub in.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:47 am

Glad to see you moving ahead with it. I look forward to seeing your progress!
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

jeffslot

Post by jeffslot » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:30 pm

Whew,

I'm really envious of you young kids sometimes. I think you don't realize how hard it can be to get some "free" time when you get a bit older.

Anyways, I'm really glad I finally got something significant done. Here is a test configuration of my power circuit.

I tested the desired outputs with my multimeter & got the desired 12v & 5v (needed for jamma), also I verified that my switch is working as I get 0v when I flip the switch. I'll have to re-wire it a bit (probably make the wires shorter/neater) but let me know what you think.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:27 pm

Skyone wrote:
jeffslot wrote:Now, the above picture is just my concept, but I'm going to attempt to make this post my work log, very similar to what I'm going to call "Bacteria Style". Please let me know what you think.
Oh, so you're going to make it a square? :P

Can't wait to see where this goes.
i semi-lol'ed :lol: