What screen...

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

c_mon
Portablizer Extraordinaire
What screen...

Post by c_mon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:20 pm

...can you recommend me for my project? I'm looking for one which is 7" or 8" and which can take rgb+sync just as PSOne screen. BTW, PSOne screen is small for my new project. Any ideas appreciated...

For example, this screen has VGA and S-video inputs. Is this screen appropriate?

Huge ebay link

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:52 pm

That screen will work if you only intend to input composite or S-video. VGA sync is 31KHz while RGB sync is 15KHz. You'd have to run your video through a pricey scan doubler to get it to work with VGA.

Your best bet is a 8.4" Lilliput screen. It's hard to find one without a touchscreen. Beware of the other sizes because they're widescreen.

c_mon

Post by c_mon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:22 pm

The screen you say has only composite input. I'm looking for one which accepts s-video or rgb input. Any other screens? BTW, why is touchscreen bad?

Valium

Post by Valium » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:40 pm

c_mon wrote:The screen you say has only composite input. I'm looking for one which accepts s-video or rgb input. Any other screens? BTW, why is touchscreen bad?
You'd be paying for a feature you'd never use.

c_mon

Post by c_mon » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:58 am

Appearently, you're right. Is that screen OK? I read somewhere that high-resolution screens aren't good for arcade games. I think that screen's resolution can be adjusted to lower settings. What do you think?

arfink

Post by arfink » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:53 am

That Lilliput screen looks likes it would be OK for Arcade if you convert your RGB to an S-Video input using something like the J-Rok or something like that. If you email Ben Heckendorn and ask him what the RGB to S-Video converter chip he used he can give you schematics, and the chip and the components are a lot cheaper than buying a J-Rok, let me tell you. Only problem is that the chip is a surface mount, but with a little practice you can get that down (at least, I didn't find it too hard, and I'm using "normal" tools, not any fancy hot air rework stations)

Yeah, if you want to pay for the touch feature and not use it, be my guest. My suggestion: go to Radio Shack and see if they have any little LCD screens, they usually do, somewhere around 8 to 15 inches. You really only need a composite or S-Video for arcade games. Yeah, they can use RGB, but unless you are running new Jamma board you won't really tell too much.

Finally, for the lower resolutions, really the only thing you can use is RGB Standard resolution or NTSC or PAL. Most arcade games are not higher res than that, they just use regular resolution TV sets. Also I prefer the lower resolution CRT screens for arcade games, so you can get the right dot pitch and get that "old school" look.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

moonmoon

Post by moonmoon » Thu May 08, 2008 7:57 am

you're right.

c_mon

Post by c_mon » Thu May 08, 2008 8:07 am

Recently bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=011

and it has a scart input. That's great!!