LCD Monitor

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Super Cameraman
LCD Monitor

Post by Super Cameraman » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:51 am

I have a MAME with a CRT monitor. It's working fine (except that vector games don't work. That's a story for a different thread) but most of the games I have are vertical games. This means that originally, the monitor in the arcade cabinet was on it's side. This is for games like Pacman or Galaga or Donkey Kong, or almost any good retro arcade game.

I have a spare LCD monitor that I want to use, and somehow make it so it spins if I need a game vertical or horizontal. Has anyone ever built one of these? I know I can buy one, but it's more expensive then it should be. Also, I have two unused buttons on the MAME. Is there an easy way to motorize the spinning so one button is counter-clockwise, and the other clockwise?

Thanks!
SCM
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

dj-spuddy

Post by dj-spuddy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:33 am

I havent personnally done it but it is completely possible and has been done quite a lot. Try some of the arcade sites in the sticky. I'm sure they'll show you how to do it. My JAMMA cab has a rotating screen. You pull it out of it's clips and rotate it then lock it back into position. It involves opening the back but it's allright.
Meh... So I don't post much?

Me =
Here

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:04 am

I found a few, but they are all for CRTs. Should I just use a CRT? I would think using an LCD screen would be way easier, but then it wouldn't look like an arcade screen.

SCM

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:32 am

If you don't mind losing the authenticity, use the LCD. You can probably make a spinning frame for it out of plywood. (Besides, CRTs usually need to be degaussed when you turn them.)

arfink

Post by arfink » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:55 pm

Well, the LCD would present some problems for rotating it, mainly because of a limited viewing angle. I have a brand new LCD monitor here on my desk, but if I tip it sideways, I really have a hard time seeing anything on it. With a CRT, there really is no problem at all. Just my 2 cents :P
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:10 pm

Why would that be a problem? I thought the viewing angle only matters when you actually tilt it, not rotate it like I'm talking about. I used my second LCD monitor vertically, and it looked exactly the same, but vertical games looked bigger.

As for losing authenticity, it's not like a CRT computer monitor looks anything like an arcade monitor anyway, and with MAME, you can choose overlays to make it look more like an old monitor, and it actually looks really cool. That and blurring the game a little to get rid of the hard edges of the pixels looks great.

SCM

dailydriver

Post by dailydriver » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:23 pm

It would not be a problem. I'm using a 17" 4x3 monitor for my Mame Cabinet and it works flawlessly.

It always surprise people when I'm playing a game and then I switch to Galaga and then I grab the two nob's that I put on the side and spin it clockwise 90 degree. Now it's vertically and still looks great. I love playing Raiden and all those airplane games also.

I'll try to get some pictures posted this weekend.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:22 pm

Super Cameraman wrote:As for losing authenticity, it's not like a CRT computer monitor looks anything like an arcade monitor anyway, and with MAME, you can choose overlays to make it look more like an old monitor, and it actually looks really cool. That and blurring the game a little to get rid of the hard edges of the pixels looks great.

SCM
What? Arcade monitors ARE CRT.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:36 pm

actually some of the sega naomi's use a lcd as the monitors
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

tom61

Post by tom61 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:25 pm

Bibin wrote:
Super Cameraman wrote:As for losing authenticity, it's not like a CRT computer monitor looks anything like an arcade monitor anyway, and with MAME, you can choose overlays to make it look more like an old monitor, and it actually looks really cool. That and blurring the game a little to get rid of the hard edges of the pixels looks great.

SCM
What? Arcade monitors ARE CRT.
Yes, they are, but arcade monitors have much lower resolution, and so look different.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:17 am

Arcade monitors are NOT Computer monitors, and MAME games look loads different when scaled to the resolution of CRT monitors anyway (I think MAME does that), it looks much closer when I use my Xbox (with MAMEoX) on my CRT SD TV

navratilova

Post by navratilova » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:21 am

Ok, how much less energy does an LCD monitor use compared to a CRT? Just to be comparative, let's say a 19 inch LCD monitor vs. a 19 inch CRT monitor used for the same amount of time. How much less energy does the average LCD use and could that add up to any significant savings over a month's or year's time? I'm just curious, and if it really makes a difference, I'll factor that in to my purchase.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:29 am

LCDs use far less power, especially if they're backlit by LEDs.