My (hopefully soon to come) MAME cabinet!

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Nick
My (hopefully soon to come) MAME cabinet!

Post by Nick » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:41 pm

Well, I finally broke down and decided not to mess with a JAMMA. Instead, I will be using MAME. I hope to use either a Defender cabinet plan or a Galaga cabinet plan. I'll probably end up using a cheap used computer from a local computer store and use an old HP Pavillion monitor that my Grandparents are giving to me. So, I'll update with progress as soon as I can.

ALSO: What vendor do you think I should get the control parts (such as joysticks and buttons) from?

EDIT: Also, if you guys have a suggestion for a cabinet plan, please let me know!
Refusing to change my avatar since like freakin 2007.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:36 pm

UPDATE: Pictures of 3d mockups:
(Large Pics)
Picture of the 3D model

360 spin.

Tell me what you think.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:36 pm

Looks like a plan! There's nothing to complicated to cabinets, but that one looks great, not to mention the good modeling. :)

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:03 am

Well for arcade parts/joysticks, I would go with eBay. I got 2 joysticks ("8" way, although they only have 4 microswitches) and 14 buttons (4 of blue, red, yellow, and 2 one/two player buttons). $37 shipped.

Then I got some green Krylon, sanded them because it didn't stick to the unsanded buttons, and made 2 green for my Neo-Geo-type button layout.

I was going to go with the defender plan, but man, that thing looks sweet. And with defender I'd need to cut at angles, which I don't think I have the tools to do right now.

Time for more plan searching!

What size TV are you using? I'm hoping for 27" or 24", although 27 seems to be more common in the local paper.
Hey, sup?

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:48 am

I'm probably going to end up using a computer monitor. I know that TV's have better picture, but I have a really strict budget, and don't want to buy a graphics card with a TV out. I'm going to use whatever monitor that family members will donate to me.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:29 pm

Graphics Card with TV-Out: $50 CAD. Probably around $30 USD, with the exchange rate and difference in pricing taken into account.

TV: $50 maximum from local paper.
Hey, sup?

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:02 pm

I'll think about it. Thing is I'd get the computer monitor for free. :P

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:53 pm

Well, I found some awesome auctions on eBay only asking $35 shipped for 14 buttons and 2 ball-top joysticks, and it's a "Buy it Now" item so I don't have to go through the bidding process! :D

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:12 pm

Well, I'm back from the dead :P and I've decided to ressurect this project with me. I decided to go with a Defender style cabinet, and I now have an old Dell compy and a free monitor. Woohoo! Well, check back for updates!