neo geo sync problem...

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

dkap01
neo geo sync problem...

Post by dkap01 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:00 am

Im pulling my hair out here because I cant get my neo to sync with my psone screen. Its a mv-1c mvs board that when I hook it up to the psone screen it has a slow roll. Im hooking it up threw the RGB, so does anyone know why this would happen. By the way its a portable neo if you didn't all ready know.

-Dave

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:36 am

wait you hooked up a neogeo pocket to a psone screen, or do you mean that your making a portable neo geo?
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

dkap01

Post by dkap01 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:04 am

Im making a portable neo-geo but Im having problems with the picture rolling..

-Dave

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:21 am

mvs or aes?
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:55 am

He said MVS :?
Anyways, how are you hooking it up (although it sounds right)? IIRC C sync goes to Luma, and then the RGB lines to their portions. Only thing that comes to mind is PAL/NTSC, but I don't think that plays a role in RGB video.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:00 pm

gannon wrote:He said MVS :?
Sorry, I dont know what is wrong with me today.

arfink

Post by arfink » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:58 pm

I have had some problems like that too, but I am using an RGB to NTSC encoder instead of hooking to a PSOne screen. My problem stemmed from some bad capacitors on my MVS board, which when replaced fixed my problem. However, this kind of problem is hard to solve if you find out that it's not just your bad soldering connections for things. I had to use an oscilloscope to poke around on my MVS board until I could find the offending capacitor. Good luck!
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

jordan

Post by jordan » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:14 pm

Only thing that comes to mind is PAL/NTSC, but I don't think that plays a role in RGB video.

arfink

Post by arfink » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:33 pm

Hey, some ideas for you- I just solved my MVS video problem too. I would suggest you do the following things:

1. check for corrosion on any of your wiring. I found that my flux was not a no-clean variety, and it made some nasty corrosion which caused terrible picture problems.

2. try bigger gauge wire, sometimes if the wire is too thin you'll get to much impedance and the signal will tank

3. make sure your ground connection is good, this can be one of the biggest issues with PSOne screens in general.

4. double check your pinouts for both the PSOne screen and the MV-1C and make absolutely sure you got everything right.

5. if all else fails, get thee to a Jamma machine and make sure your MV-1C is still good

Good luck! I hope this all goes well for you!
BTW, what Neo games do you have right now? Just curious, I am a new MVS gamer and I have 5 titles right now, SS1, KOF 94, MSlug2, Neo Turf Masters, and Puzzle Bobble. SamSho2 on the way...

c_mon
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by c_mon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:36 pm

PAL/NTSC screen differs in RGB video when you use the screen with RGB modified consoles not with the ones which already output RGB video. I checked my SMS 2 (PAL) RGB video with a NTSC PsOne screen but got a flicky image. When I tried the same board and RGB video with a PAL PsOne screen got a great image. So, as MVS boards output only RGB, it shouldn't make any difference in using either PAL or NTSC screen with them.

arfink

Post by arfink » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:53 pm

c_mon wrote:PAL/NTSC screen differs in RGB video when you use the screen with RGB modified consoles not with the ones which already output RGB video. I checked my SMS 2 (PAL) RGB video with a NTSC PsOne screen but got a flicky image. When I tried the same board and RGB video with a PAL PsOne screen got a great image. So, as MVS boards output only RGB, it shouldn't make any difference in using either PAL or NTSC screen with them.
Yes, most RGB mods for regular consoles have this problem because the video chipset is running at a particular frequency for PAL or NTSC encoding, and rather than change it to true RGB frequency they are lazy and leave it the same, since if it's used in the same region it ought to be OK.

However, not all arcade boards are created equal, and sometimes the designers do the same thing- most of the time in arcade machines it is OK because the monitor will tolerate some deviation, but it can in some cases be off by enough to mess things up.

If you still have problems with your Neo Geo board and the RGB input on the PSOne screen I would suggest that you look into getting a video encoder and convert to NTSC or PAL, probably S-Video would look just fine; I can barely notice the difference between RGB in and SVideo on my PSOne screen. For a cheap encoder look up the NeoBitz-S, made by Jeff Kurtz. You can buy a kit from him for about $35 or so. I have one, it works just great.