mame cabinent ideas

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Krepticor
mame cabinent ideas

Post by Krepticor » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:53 pm

Alright I have an Idea I wan to exploit...

First of all I want to build a mame cabinet, However, I want to make money off it....(Don't worry I'll research the copyrights and such)

Now By this I want to set up a MAME system that takes coins and has the ability to be easily turned off/on by the mere flick of a switch

I know someone here has done something similar with there local pizza place...

Any ideas are welcome Thanks!

~Krepticor
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:37 am

I doubt you can do this without paying a lot of money to the developers for a commercial license. Even the <a href="http://www.mamedev.org/roms/">MAME ROMs that have been freely released by their developers</a> have only been released for non-commercial use only. (Meaning you can't make money off them.)

As for turning on and off at the flick of a switch, you could probably do that with AdvanceMAME on a minimal Linux install on an iRAM drive.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4344753709
^ XP booting off an iRam drive in about 5 seconds

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:24 am

Why not just buy a real jamma board?
Hey, sup?

arfink

Post by arfink » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:07 am

No kidding, JAMMA would be way cheaper than figuring out how to make a MAME system which is not only virtually indestructible, but also hack proof. See, making a MAME cab which would be "safe" for a real arcade environment is extremely hard, or so I have found in my research. You would be better off getting some cheap JAMMA boards and doing it that way.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!