MAME Cabinet suggestions

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

atari2600a
MAME Cabinet suggestions

Post by atari2600a » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:00 am

After getting fed up w/ trying to find a decent ~20" 15KHz RGB monitor, I stripped my Neo-Geo cab for conversion into a MAME cabinet. I know, I have committed a mortal sin, but the cabinet was in bad condition to start with (bought it like that), & I guarantee the hardware will get to a good home.

Anyways, I was wondering what OS other people use to run their MAME cabinets. I'm thinking ArcadeOS w/ Win98SE. (98SE because MAME has become more dependant on DirectX over the years) What do you guys use?

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:06 am

I know it's kind of silly, but I think if I were going for a mame cab, I would probably use an xbox. They're inexpensive, fairly powerful, and have a lot of options for video/controls. (including available jamma adapters)

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:10 am

Yeah, but I'd also have to go through modding it & getting a VGA adapter (or being stuck with composite)

I already have a PIII mobo w/ an easily overclockable Katmai core, now all I need is a 10GB HDD (which I can get at my other house), a PSU, & a stick of PC133 RAM.

DK

Post by DK » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:12 am

Shouldn't this be in the Arcade section? Soz about being pedantic. I'd go with 98 or DOS.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:51 pm

What P3 do you have, and how much RAM are you giving it? A lightened 2000 install won't lag the system too badly, especially if you're just going to run games like Pac-Man, Metal Slug, and Dig Dug. (Basically anything non-3D)

Don't bother with old junk like 98 or DOS, since drivers will be a pain to find and you'll probably be stuck with old versions of MAME. At least run 2000, because you'll have access to more and better programs and newer versions of DirectX and MAME. If you use XP Lite on it to eliminate as much stuff as you can without interfering with the emulators, the load shouldn't be much more than 98.

Install GameEx, since it has a great MAME system and makes running other emulators almost seamless.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:31 pm

As I already stated, I'm running on a Katmai core. I'm also hoping to give the system 256MB of PC133.

& drivers? Old versions of MAME? You do realize that MAME still makes official DOS builds right? As do 99.9% of hardware manufacturers make Win98SE drivers. Win2K does sound good though...Especially since it's NTSC...maybe if I kill most the services I can get it running fast enough for some newer 3D games...

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:40 pm

I use a PIII with I believe an 866MHz processor and have had no problems with speed. I believe there is somewhere between 128 and 256 (inclusive) of RAM in there, too. I run Windows 2000 and MameWAH and absolutely recommend it. Easy to configure, and Windows 2000 is one of the best OSs out there in the Windows world.

For interfacing the buttons with the computer, I used a few gamepads (the more buttons, the better) and JoyToKey to convert the joypad signals into keyboard ones. Easy for soldering and stuff, and still flexible in the software. Oh, and when you figure out which buttons correspond with which keys be sure to write them down on paper. Good handy reference and all that fun stuff :)

Let me know if you need help. I've built a couple MAME machines that have turned out beautifully and know the procedure fairly well :) .

Edit: Also, for a monitor, just search your hardest for a decent-sized VGA monitor. Sure, arcade monitors are most "true" but harder to deal with. First check the local computer shops, the mom-n-pop places that sell used stuff. I am friends with a guy that works at a place like this, and he said that their distributors make them take monitors (for free) when they buy some computers, just to get rid of them. The store is then stuck with the monitors, and have a hard time getting rid of them (even for free). Also, don't forget to check craigslist. Free section is best to start, maybe make a wanted ad there, too. If you look hard enough, I'd be surprised if you paid more than $20 for a 20" monitor. My dad got the one we used in exchange for cleaning my neighbor/boss' garage, then my boss just gave me the one used for the other cabinet.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:48 pm

Thanks, MameWAH looks like it'll take up a lot less RAM than GameEx, & ArcadeOS looks like it's been discontinued. (or at least not updated in a few years)

EDIT: Oh, & I'm fine w/ monitors. I got plenty myself.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:43 pm

atari2600a wrote:As I already stated, I'm running on a Katmai core.
450, 550, or 600 mhz? 100 or 133 mhz FSB?
& drivers? Old versions of MAME? You do realize that MAME still makes official DOS builds right?
No, I didn't. :lol:
As do 99.9% of hardware manufacturers make Win98SE drivers.
Really? I haven't seen any in a while. :?
Win2K does sound good though...Especially since it's NTSC...maybe if I kill most the services I can get it running fast enough for some newer 3D games...
Win2K is a much better core system choice than 98. It's more stable, has better driver support, and with SP4 it can run almost anything XP SP2 can. I found <a href="http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm">this</a> list of which Windows 2000 services you can safely cut out. <a href="http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html">Here's</a> a utility that can remove a lot of system components after installation, but if you don't want to bother with them from the start, make a custom install CD with <a href="http://www.nliteos.com">nLite</a>.