My First Mod/Repair

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Dragunov
My First Mod/Repair

Post by Dragunov » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:09 pm

I was looking around one day in Building 19 and saw a desktop MVS cabinet with a 6 slot mobo for $240. I raised enough money to buy it and ran home all excited hoping to play some good ol' Metal Slug. I plug the thing in and I realize that the 1P joystick was a complete and total wreck and that forr buttons didn't work. I was going to return the thing until I got crazy idea, why not fix the thing?

So I opened it up and looked at the mess before me. Almost all of the wire connectors that led into the switches were broken and snapped off. I looked all around the house for some copper wire, but it seems that a failed Dreamcast portable project ate all my copper wire beforhand. I was very sad, then I realize that my soldering iron was dead. Ready to throw the cabinet at the Building 19 people, I went to bed.

Then I got a crazy idea, I cut up an old Pepsi can and tore apart the switches. I replaced the broken connector with a fitted cut Pepsi can piece and attatched that to the wire with some hot glue. I re-screwed the switches down and turned the machine on. My efforts had finally paid off, I had actually fixed arcade controls with a soda can.

This might not seem like a big deal to you guys, but I'm pretty proud of myself.

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:32 pm

Do you have any pics of the repair/mod?

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:27 pm

This sounds like the kind of thing where pictures would just make me go...wow...you....were really desperate.

- Juice 8)

Dragunov

Post by Dragunov » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:04 am

Yeah I meant to put pictures up, but my sister lent my camera to her friend in Ireland. I should have a picture up in a week give or take a few days.