My New Baby! (Space Invaders). (56K WARNING).

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

dj-spuddy
My New Baby! (Space Invaders). (56K WARNING).

Post by dj-spuddy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:24 pm

I finnally bought what I allways wanted.

A Space Invaders Cocktail Arcade Machine. In Near Mint Condition!
I am completely tired because I had to drive 360 miles to get it. But it was worth it completely. Here are some pics -

I plan to purchase a Four-Slot Neo Geo MVS next. Perhaps when I have money again heh.
Meh... So I don't post much?

Me =
Here

benol

Post by benol » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:29 pm

Is it black and white? also, I noticed that the buttons have Japanese words.
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

dj-spuddy

Post by dj-spuddy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:31 pm

Actually no it's a 1979 colour version (Not colour Overlays, A real Colour CRT monitor). Yeah and the control panel overlays are in japanese because the old ones were damaged. The glass has also been replaced with new shiny stuff but I have the original 1979 taito glass cover.

Me =
Here

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:06 pm

wow NICE how much did this set you back?
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

dj-spuddy

Post by dj-spuddy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:23 pm

£600 which is $1,185.64 Completely worth it though as they are worth about £1,050 ($2,074.64).

Me =
Here

arfink

Post by arfink » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:47 am

Whoo waaa! I didn't notice this before- very nice find! Do you know what board revision you have? I have never heard of a true color Space Invaders before- the USA versions all just have the colored overlays on them, which is fine for space invaders. Is it a special board revision, or is there a color processing unit which takes the B/W signal and just splits the sync and makes the screen into the colored regions with hardware?

I am interested because I don't think anyone at VAPS has an original invaders with a true color setup, just overlays. I know some of the sequels had true color, but this is amazing!

If I had that kind of money I would drop $$$ on stuff like that too, but instead I just collect Jamma boards and mod and play around. Keep it up!

Edit: I see your MVS in that pic too! What do you have in your MVS collection? Also, is this a real Taito board? If it is, then it must be a very rare prototype. A search online revealed that only two bootlegs of the original game have color processing, one was made by Logitech and the other by IPM, which later changed names to IREM. You can tell if yours is the IPM version because the IPM units had a "coffee break" scene in them, while the Logitech version have only black and green, no red in the image.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:45 pm

Wow! Awesome find! £600 pounds is a bargin for that kind of cabinet! Nice one :) I noticed you had to travel 360 miles to get it. Where exactly did you have to pick it up from?

dj-spuddy

Post by dj-spuddy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:16 am

arfink wrote:Whoo waaa! I didn't notice this before- very nice find! Do you know what board revision you have? I have never heard of a true color Space Invaders before- the USA versions all just have the colored overlays on them, which is fine for space invaders. Is it a special board revision, or is there a color processing unit which takes the B/W signal and just splits the sync and makes the screen into the colored regions with hardware?

I am interested because I don't think anyone at VAPS has an original invaders with a true color setup, just overlays. I know some of the sequels had true color, but this is amazing!

If I had that kind of money I would drop $$$ on stuff like that too, but instead I just collect Jamma boards and mod and play around. Keep it up!

Edit: I see your MVS in that pic too! What do you have in your MVS collection? Also, is this a real Taito board? If it is, then it must be a very rare prototype. A search online revealed that only two bootlegs of the original game have color processing, one was made by Logitech and the other by IPM, which later changed names to IREM. You can tell if yours is the IPM version because the IPM units had a "coffee break" scene in them, while the Logitech version have only black and green, no red in the image.
I'm not too entirely sure but I believe it has hardware that changes the black and white signal and then splits different regions into colour. Also those pictures are the only ones I have and they were from the actual ebay sale so unfortunately I don't own an MVS :(. However I plan to buy one soon. I don't believe it is that rare, Atleast not here in the UK. The guy I bought it from had about 6 other machines all in colour. Yes it is an original Taito board. Actually there was a error with the sound so I was sent another chipset from the guy so they are definitely not that rare. I have one other Arcade machine and it's just a plain 'ol Jamma cabnet. However it's got 6 extra buttons I plan to wire up so I can play my street fighter 2 board properly. I'll upload some pictures of it running and maybe some more detailed pictures of the chip set and serial numbers etc.

To - TheOnlyOneHeFears : I had to pick it up from the northern part of Leeds, I live down south so it took a long time.

Me =
Here

arfink

Post by arfink » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:28 pm

Hmmm, that's interesting, it must just be some sort of custom color-generator. Maybe an after market piece? I say that because I don't know of any companies that make the monochrome monitors anymore, at least not the big ones used in arcade machines. The only monochrome one I have seen sold lately was a 5 inch amber one for a dart machine. Very cool- I wonder if the color board was made by Taito or someone else?
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!