Arcade / tact switches question

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

jeffslot
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Arcade / tact switches question

Post by jeffslot » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:15 pm

Hi,

I'm buying another arcade board to portabalize. What would happen if I only wanted to use 1 joystick for both players and simplye connected player 1 & 2 to the same points on my tact switches? Would that work? Thanks.

Jeff S

dudex77

Re: Arcade / tact switches question

Post by dudex77 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:34 pm

jeffslot wrote:Hi,

I'm buying another arcade board to portabalize. What would happen if I only wanted to use 1 joystick for both players and simplye connected player 1 & 2 to the same points on my tact switches? Would that work? Thanks.

Jeff S
i think so but im pretty sure you would need a switch
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

bgnome

Post by bgnome » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:41 pm

all it would do is simultaneously ground both inputs at the same time. this should just register as simultaneous button presses.

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:43 pm

As long as it's not a two player simultaneous game, it should work fine. Didn't the NES Advantage do this sort of thing?

-Super
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:53 am

Super Cameraman wrote:As long as it's not a two player simultaneous game, it should work fine. Didn't the NES Advantage do this sort of thing?

-Super
ive got a quickshot for the master system shut up it was 3 euros that does
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

arfink

Post by arfink » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:38 pm

Well, as for the arcade boards, I think that an arcade board that does not do 2 player simultaneous would certainly be just fine, especially if it's Jamma. I know this because Jamma uses only 1 ground for all the controls, both 1 player, 2 player, coin up switches, everything. I don't know squat about much besides Jamma, so if you use a non Jamma board you'll just need to break out the good old ohm meter and see whether the common lines for the controls are all connected to the same ground line. I really liked your last portable, and I am really looking forward to this one!

Edit: might I ask what you are portabalizing this time?
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!