PCB;s.

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Bibin
PCB;s.

Post by Bibin » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:21 am

Anyone know a good place to get working Pac-Man or Galaga PCB's cheap?

arfink

Post by arfink » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:53 pm

I know a really bad place to get working PCB's cheap: EBAY. 80's arcade hardware sells like hotcakes on EBAY and the prices are high, if you see one that the price is low, be sure and read all the fine print first! Often times what you don't see is that the operator is selling the board "as is" and "untested," which more than likely means that either he has no idea now to find out if it works, or he knows it doesn't work and he just wants to get it off his hands. Don't by one of those unless you have a lot of expertise and are prepared to fix a lot of problems.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:10 pm

You don't have to buy a perfect PCB to get a game working, but you may have to spend a lot of time fixing broken solder joints, testing connections, and replacing old, tired capacitors. As long as the chips themselves are okay you shouldn't have a problem. The schematics for the boards are out there somewhere, so you should be able to track down the issues, given enough time.

My uncle has a Space Duel vector game. It works but unfortunately one of the Pokey chips died so it makes no sound anymore. :( He replaced a few blown/old capacitors and the video works fine.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:44 pm

Aww, pokey was a great sound chip.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:53 pm

Can't you just grab one from a cheap Atari 8-bit? 800's go for like $10 on eBay now, the newer ones probably cheaper if you look.

shmagoogin77
Portablizer

Re: PCB;s.

Post by shmagoogin77 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:11 pm

Bibin wrote:Anyone know a good place to get working Pac-Man or Galaga PCB's cheap?
you could buy one of those plug and play tv games for $10 and that has pac-man and galaga
its a thought...

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:26 pm

shmagoogin77 wrote:
Bibin wrote:Anyone know a good place to get working Pac-Man or Galaga PCB's cheap?
you could buy one of those plug and play tv games for $10 and that has pac-man and galaga
its a thought...
:roll: yeah... it is actually i saw this one guy make a cabinet with just a tv and a plug n play pacman he called it the penny arcade. but i think he might be looking for something a bit more authentic
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:47 pm

Naw, those don't work woth vertical monitors, or arcade monitors at all. And, they don't take coins.

Besides, I already built an arcade cabinet out of one of those... It's actually a tiny tabletop with a 14inch screen, like the top half of an arcade sliced off and resized by 50%, then add a NES controller for controls. Bam.

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:25 pm

dudex77 wrote:
shmagoogin77 wrote:
its a thought...
:roll: yeah... it is actually i saw this one guy make a cabinet with just a tv and a plug n play pacman he called it the penny arcade. but i think he might be looking for something a bit more authentic
Skyone made one of those I think...

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:33 am

joevennix wrote:
dudex77 wrote:
shmagoogin77 wrote:
its a thought...
Skyone made one of those I think...
cool does anyone have a link?
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:08 pm

I'll take a photo of mine soon.

arfink

Post by arfink » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:54 pm

Hmm, sounds interesting. I have a website of my arcade cabinet project, it's a cocktail machine. It's at my parent's house because it's too big for my dorm room.

I'll post up a link soon.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!