dreamcade

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

dudex77
dreamcade

Post by dudex77 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:40 pm

ok i dont know whether this should go in this topic or in the dreamcast topic but im thinking about making an arcade cabinet but using a dreamcast just with modded controls. i would use a 17ish in crt computer screen i suppose and try to make it as much to scale as possible my end result would something like this http://www.willyliliana.com/NES%20Cabin ... abinet.htm i would hope. having both arcade controls and regular controls as options and possibly guns as well. comments?

edit: oh and by that i dont mean nintendo themed just the idea of making a console an arcade cabinet
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

arfink

Post by arfink » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:42 pm

Yeah, this belongs here, after all the NAOMI arcade hardware was just a souped up Dreamcast. I think this would be very cool, especially if you made it so that you can't tell it's actually a dreamcast inside. You know, custom wired arcade controls and such. You could use an RGB arcade monitor, since the Dreamcast can output the 15khtz RGB signal you would need. I am not sure how to do it exactly, but you could. I have seen a guy who made a Sega Saturn in an arcade cabinet, it was the same guy who built the PC2Jamma project.

If you want to get some nice NAOMI style joysticks you should look into getting some Sanwa sticks. You can buy them for a very good price from akihabarashop.com . I got mine there, and they are really awesome for fighting games and for shooters. I think the time of each day playing Metal Slug and Last Blade increased about %400 after I built my arcade controller for my PC.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:00 pm

ok cool ill look on that site for the arcade sticks or ill probly make my own. i kind of want to make it without damaging my dreamcast so ill see how it ends up but if i find another cheep dreamcast i might just buy it rip it open and have the arcade sticks and guns hardwired in with a switch and have the regular controller ports in the front. i suppose the best way for the disk drive would be to have it verticle and maybe make a clear plastic cover so i can see it spinning. i suppose i would make the finish the same colors as the dreamcast blue and grey or possibly the ntsc colors
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:26 pm

right omm ill sketch up a design and post it and you guys can give ur opinions

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:57 am

wow i totally forgot about this but heres what i did in a quick sketch then re did in mspaint read the description

http://flickr.com/photos/10956787@N00/378196544/

what do you think

LoyalistRevolt

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:19 pm

dudex77 wrote:wow i totally forgot about this but heres what i did in a quick sketch then re did in mspaint read the description

http://flickr.com/photos/10956787@N00/378196544/

what do you think
I'm actually really interested in this tell me how it goes I may want to make one.
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."

dj-spuddy

Post by dj-spuddy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:09 am

That sounds awesome. You could also run various arcade emulators on it.
Meh... So I don't post much?

Me =
Here

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:30 pm

I have a 16 in CTX crt moniter lieing around. PM me if intersted and I'll give ya a price.

But yea I can't wait to see this One Off acrade machine finshed :D

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:39 pm

Just saw this got bumped I'm not going to make a dreamcade in the end as I'm low on money but I'm working on a dramcast arcade stick that's going to be cosmic smash themed. As of now I'm just gathring parts put I'll definitely post pics when it gets done.

arfink

Post by arfink » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:36 am

Hey, good idea! I wanted to do an upright machine after I did my cocktail, but I could not get funds, (this was before I had a job, when i was in highschool) so I just made a tabletop controller that worked with my Linux Mame (I'm running Ubuntu and playing xMAME with a very slick gui)

Keep it up!
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:40 am

one word:

IKARUGA!