"Not just a Arcade" Cabinet

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Chwoka
"Not just a Arcade" Cabinet

Post by Chwoka » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:50 pm

Ok, ok. Kinda like my Ultimate Portable idea, but now realistic and not all-inclusive.

A Arcade Cabinet with all the consoles you want built in and MAME.

Arm 1: Controls

Arm 2: Game insert and more controls

So, what does everyone think? Anyone wanna build it, or would it be too big of a job?
Last edited by Chwoka on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:58 pm

Awwww man you guys already moved it i was gonna say

In the wrong section n00b or something like that.

OK now to the idea of this thing. Yet again i think it would be a big thing to ship around. And there would be fights etc.

Chwoka

Post by Chwoka » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:42 pm

1. No it's not in the wrong section, it contains consoles like NES, PS1, etc.

2. It's not shipped around. This is just a idea I want someone to do. Not like the Community Ultimate Portable.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:01 pm

Chwoka wrote:1. No it's not in the wrong section, it contains consoles like NES, PS1, etc.

2. It's not shipped around. This is just a idea I want someone to do. Not like the Community Ultimate Portable.
Well if you have the word arcade in the title maybe it should go in the arcade section. And I'm not the only one who thinks it should be in the arcade section. :roll:

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:51 pm

who gives a crap? quit finsterin' about it that censor word is so much better than the new one...
ImageImage

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:41 pm

You should look up on Cockpit cabinets. Not exactly the same idea, but you could probably find & modify one...

Chwoka

Post by Chwoka » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:46 am

Tht'ss exactly what I was thinking of when I made this! But seriously, wrong subject.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:45 am

Looks like it's big, expensive, and does the same as a cabinet half that size. Seriously. Built-in chair for arcade games? Unless you're trying to replicate games like Pole Position (driving games) it's a waste of space, money, and materials. (You're looking at something that takes up more floor space than a twin mattress.)

http://arcadecontrols.com

^ A good site for cabinets and stuff.

Chwoka

Post by Chwoka » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:54 am

bicostp wrote:Looks like it's big, expensive, and does the same as a cabinet half that size. Seriously. Built-in chair for arcade games? Unless you're trying to replicate games like Pole Position (driving games) it's a waste of space, money, and materials. (You're looking at something that takes up more floor space than a twin mattress.)

http://arcadecontrols.com

^ A good site for cabinets and stuff.
...FOR the LAST TIME! IT HAS CONSOLES IN IT TOO!

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:31 am

Curious, are you planning to just throw the sytems in there, or are you gonna take out the mobo & attach the cart slot to a huge ribbon cable?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:53 am

Chwoka wrote:...FOR the LAST TIME! IT HAS CONSOLES IN IT TOO!
So having console games in it justifies taking up twice the space and materials?

Seriously, If you're going to have MAME in the thing, why bother trying to stuff a bunch of console motherboards in there too? And why bother building a seat if you aren't going to add a set of driving controls? :?

arfink

Post by arfink » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:10 pm

Umm, seriously, why flame the guy? I always thought this would be a cool idea, and who says he isn't going to change it and make another revision? I mean, having a steering wheel isn't really all that hard. And since it's in the arcade section it's kinda assumed that this is not really going to be portable unless you add wheels. This is really a technical zone for guys looking to do something a little (ok, maybe a lot) bigger.

OK Chwoka, I think this is a pretty good idea, but what I would do is get a cabinet from say Ebay or your local arcade dealer. Look for cabs with broken electronics or that have been "gutted." You'll probably be replacing all that stuff anyway. And if the paint is a little rough or there are other probems with the cabinet itself you should look at it in person to make sure you can actually repair the damage to your liking. The other day on ebay I saw a Star Trek cockpit cabinet that had been gutted and it was pretty cheap. However, rather than Ebay, I would pull out the phone book and look up some local arcade dealers and then ask if they have any gutted cabs you could look at or buy. I would not pay more than $100 for any gutted cabinet, unless it was in extremely good (ie, new) shape. Chances are you'll need lots of bondo and paint to make it look like new again.

As for controls, you could try Happ controls, or for the descriminating gamer you should visit akihabarashop.com for some nice high quality japanese controls. I have bought from both, and both are reliable and honest, with good prices.

For a steering wheel, I would say you should try and build your own, but I don't know exactly how to do that. I do know others have done it with some pretty impresive results, or you could hack a steering wheel from the store.

That's all for now, don't give up just because some people think your ideas are lame. Good luck! :)
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!