What Kind of Switch is This?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

MAXOFLIFE
360 GamerTag:MAXOFLIFE
Steam ID:MAXOFLIFE
What Kind of Switch is This?

Post by MAXOFLIFE » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Sorry, I am new to the wonderful world of electronics. I know the very basic things, but I need some help with finding exactly what I need in this situation. I have a few identical switches that I am told are called Rocker Switches. It takes one input wire and then has two outputs that it selects from and corresponds from the two states of the switch which way the current will flow. What would I need to google search in order to have one that can take three wires and do the exact same thing as if it has one?

I want to use this in order to have my first portable that I am building switch between the small screen and then whatever large screen it is connect too.

Sorry if I am being wordy, as I learn exactly what this is and how to classify it's different types I'll get better with time! Thanks in advanced! :D

gamer255

Re: What Kind of Switch is This?

Post by gamer255 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:48 pm

So, you are looking to have a switch for video out?
As an example either outputting the video to your TV or Portable.

If so, you are looking for an SPDT switch. RadioShack or eBay will have them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:23 pm

I do believe that you're referring to a SPDT switch. However, your diagram has three poles instead of one. Are you trying to control three inputs or one?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

MAXOFLIFE
360 GamerTag:MAXOFLIFE
Steam ID:MAXOFLIFE

Re:

Post by MAXOFLIFE » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:05 pm

ProgMetalMan wrote:I do believe that you're referring to a SPDT switch. However, your diagram has three poles instead of one. Are you trying to control three inputs or one?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Yes, the SPDT is exactly what I need. But I need to control three, possibly more, with the flick of one switch, does that have a certain name?

ProgMetalMan

Re: What Kind of Switch is This?

Post by ProgMetalMan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Well, 3 would be 3PDT or TPDT, 4 would be 4PDT or QPDT, etc.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.