Buying batteries from China: how safe is it?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63
Buying batteries from China: how safe is it?

Post by com64 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:27 am

I'm trying to find some 18500 batteries (four of them, to be exact) for a Nomad mod. The only problem is, I want to save some money to be able to afford other parts for the project.

I have found a few of sources: eBay, DealExtreme or Taobao, all ultimately coming from China or Hong Kong. I've ordered from DealExtreme before, although I don't really know who to trust in this situation. I'm worried I'll end up with less-than-reliable or lower capacity cells and pay way too much for them. Of course, I'll be more protected through eBay or DX. I don't know what brands to trust, and I'm worried about knock-offs.

I also do have someone I know who can help me read the Chinese Taobao site and I'm ordering something from there anyway. I'll try to go through the customer comments on Taobao with her.

Ultimately, I have a few of choices of brands:
The cheap ones from eBay.
The more expensive Ultrafire ones from DX.
The in-between Ultrafire ones (mostly because of the shipping costs and batteries are heavy) from Taobao.
The dirt-cheap nondescript ones from Taobao.
The more expensive nondescript ones from Taobao. (I may be able to strike a deal with them.)
Spoiler:
eBay:
Ultrafire (3.7V 1.6Ah) (~$23 for 4)
unbranded (3.7V 1.4Ah) (~$10 for 4)

DX:
Ultrafire (3.7V 1.6Ah) (~$20 for 4) (looks the same as the eBay ones)

Taobao:
differently-coloured "industrial" Ultrafire (3.6V 1.6Ah) (~$15-$20 for 4)
unbranded blue (3.7V 1.8Ah) (~$10-$15 for 4)
Sanyo nondescript red with a striking resemblance to the ones in Jeroi's thread on Sega-16 (3.7V 1.62Ah) (~$13-$18 for 4)
Finally: the surface!

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Buying batteries from China: how safe is it?

Post by hailrazer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:40 pm

Almost all 18650's from China will be less than 1800mAh no matter what they claim.

t'sa crapshoot. None of the ones you mentioned will probably be worth anything.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63

Re: Buying batteries from China: how safe is it?

Post by com64 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:09 pm

You're right; I might be better off getting a Sony camera battery and charger.
Finally: the surface!