Everything switch box?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

small502
Everything switch box?

Post by small502 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:01 pm

As someone who really has not much knowledge about this sort of thing (and has a lot of old consoles) http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/13/how- ... this guide helped a ton. but a lot of old consoles use coax cables or can use vga cables for hd video. My question is can anyone actually make a switchbox with all these different inputs going through one output?

ProgMetalMan

Re: Everything switch box?

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:50 pm

If I ever make a crap of money, I WILL design something like this. I think the key is something intuitive to control it, and latching relays.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

small502

Post by small502 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:36 pm

I dont know how a latching relay would work with this (but i am completely new at this stuff) but i have found multiple format to format converters for a few $ on the internet. I was thinking it would be possible to hook up all these inputs to splitters then hook the splitter to a converter.

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:22 pm

You still need something to switch it though. Splitters don't work. That's where the relays come in, although they might have too much electromagnetic interference when you think about it.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

qwertymodo
360 GamerTag:qwertymodo
Steam ID:qwertymodo

Post by qwertymodo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:49 am

I have a nice switch box for Composite/Component/S-Video that auto-detects which line has a signal transmitting and automatically switches to properly. It was $30 at Radio Shack. Tack a format converter onto the output and you've got yourself a solution. For coax, just run out through an RF modulator then into the RCA composite input. Certainly not going to provide the highest quality with all that converting, but that would be the case regardless.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2