Custom PVR/DVR Questions

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Teenwulf
PSN Username:TEENWULF
Custom PVR/DVR Questions

Post by Teenwulf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:54 am

Hi all, I'm Teenwulf ( or Dave if you wish),

I'm new to the forums and I'm not a modder or hacker or anything like that, but saying that, I do wish to make myself a custom DVR/PVR or whatever the correct terminology is. I live in the UK so please keep that in mind should any of your answers be location specific, thanks!

I wouldn't say i'm computer savvy to a modder/hacker degree but I know my way around OK I suppose. I've already dowloaded and installed the driver(s) to get my PS3 PlayTV Tuner to work on my laptop and I've also figured out Remote Play for PS3 on my non-Sony laptop so I'm not completely devoid of any computer knowledge. ANYWAY! The point is, I would like to see if I can build myself a DVR/PVR as I have already mentioned. I just don't know where to start. I don't know what parts I need or how I would put it all together.
I'm guessing all I need is a basic computer running some kind of OS (be it windows or Linux or whatever), A HardDrive for storage and all the connections and wires that the machine would require (whatever they may be??!!)
I realise I couldn't make the housing/case myself and I don't know where or who I could go to about it. A completely custom housing would be cool but a retro looking one might be cool also, such as a Super Nintendo or something like that (although I'm guessing that may be too small?)

Any help or information would be gratefully received.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope it made sense!

Regards

Dave/Teenwulf