Help identifying a component

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

abferm
Steam ID:abferm
Help identifying a component

Post by abferm » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:23 am

I am trying to repair a piece of electronic equipment and I have found a cracked and burnt component. It appears to be a surface mount diode. It is a black rectangle with a white line on one end. It has two number letter pairs, WA and W6. Does anyone know what this is and where I can get an equivalent? I can't find a data sheet anywhere.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Help identifying a component

Post by hailrazer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:09 pm

Black with a white line on the end is most likely a capacitor. It would have had a number on it. With it burnt, then the only way to find out the value is get a service manual or post a topic in a forum where the item is popular and ask someone to open theirs up and get you the number.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

abferm
Steam ID:abferm

Post by abferm » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:15 am

There was an identical component next to it that had WA W6 on it. The symbol under the component looked like this: (dots are to adjust spacing)

.......__|__/
....../../\
......../__\
..........|

It is also labeled zd102 which would make it a zener diode.

wilykat

Post by wilykat » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Code: Select all

.......__|__/
....../../\
......../__\
..........|
For future reference,

Code: Select all

keeps text lined up straight.

And yep that's a zener diode, usually placed in reverse bias as voltage control.