Pelteir in 360 water cooling systme?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

FatylPCs
Pelteir in 360 water cooling systme?

Post by FatylPCs » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:34 pm

So I am curious as to whether or not a 12v 60w Peltier unit will work in a water cooling rig in lieu of a radiator. I've got one on the way and have several projects in mind but wanted to know if 1) the power would be sufficient to operate the peltier, and 2) using plexiglass will I run into any issues with case cracking?

Heres the link to the unit I bought: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 5Cdavk-kSQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FatylPCs

Re: Pelteir in 360 water cooling systme?

Post by FatylPCs » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:06 pm

No one? Guess I'll just have to wire everything and see if it works...

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:32 am

You still need a heatsink on the hot side. A peltier cooler works by transferring heat from one side to the other, pretty much a solid state AC or fridge. A regular fan and heatsink (or watercooling setup, for that matter) can only get as cool as the ambient air temperature. A peltier can make the cool side colder than ambient, but all that heat has to go to the hot side and be dispersed with a heatsink. Its also inefficient, so you'll need an even bigger heatsink to cool the hot side than you would need to cool the xbox normally. It will draw up to 60w, the actual cooling capacity will be much lower.
While they're neat little devices, I would not use one to cool an xbox/computer.

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:57 pm

I kinda thought I might have to use a heat sink and I've got quite a few of them laying around. My main concern is whether or not the plexiglass will crack under the cooling.