N64 LED project

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

shalingrad
N64 LED project

Post by shalingrad » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Hey guys,

So I'm a total newbie as far as electronics go (I've taken some classes but haven't really applied my knowledge to any project until now) and had some questions/concerns about this project I'm looking to do on my N64. Basically, I wanted to create a battery-powered circuit that would have two different-colored LEDs (red and blue) that would have two different switches; one would be a rocker switch that would turn the circuit on and off, and the other would be some sort of toggle switch which could switch between red or blue. This circuit would be mounted inside the N64 in such a way that the light comes out of the top vent of the N64. Here's what I came up with and my reasoning behind choosing component values:

Does this seem reasonable enough? Am I forgetting anything?

Also, I can't seem to find a toggle switch that would serve the purpose of switching between red and blue, like I had above. I thought this would serve the purpose but it only has two pins and looks like it's only meant for on and off. Anyone know of anything that could accomplish this?

Any recommendations to make this easier/more efficient would also be appreciated. Thanks! :D

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: N64 LED project

Post by vskid » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:19 am

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9609
That switch should do the job, if you can live without a toggle switch.

Why not just run it off the N64's power? You have 3.3v and 12v to work with (and 5v, but I'm not sure how the 7805 would like providing more power).

Muniosi

Post by Muniosi » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:45 am

That looks cool, what's it for?

shalingrad

Post by shalingrad » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:45 am

Thanks for the replies,

I was considering doing that, but I don't really understand how to read the circuit board and was worried about things like too much current being drawn from the supply and things like that :\ . That said, if running it off the rail voltage isn't gonna be a problem then I might look more into that, thanks. And yeah, I was looking at that switch but I have no idea if I'd be able to mount it outside the case somehow. The thing about the other switches is that I was just going to use a step bit on my drill, since they were round, and just mount them to the top.

Muniosi: It's just something I decided to do out of boredom, really. :P Figured it would be a cool learning experience anyways.

shalingrad

Post by shalingrad » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:27 am

Also, do any of you guys think that this might work for the second switch? I just really want something in toggle form.