Difference between Disk Defrag and Registry Defrag?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

resecnded x
PSN Username:ShadowXKaiser
360 GamerTag:King Kickass99
Difference between Disk Defrag and Registry Defrag?

Post by resecnded x » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Yo, me being an avid technological connoisseur (or just a plain loving tech junkie), I do regular checkups on my computer, virus scans, disk cleaners, I even use the Windows De-fragmentation tool occasionally, but I moved to the Defraggler tool that I mainly like because of its more options and such that the vista Defrag tool doesn't have

Lately, I've been wondering that if I use my defraggler tool (made by the same company that made CCleaner, one of the tools I use), will it also defrag my registry, and if not, then what tool should I use to defrag my registry?

I use Liberkey and its portable tools mainly because it seems the best out of any portable app suite I've used so far, and since I have a portable hard drive with that on it, I go for the more bigger sized apps that seem appealing to me, because its my opinion that the bigger it is, the more chances and options it offers to be more efficient than the smaller ones

In conjunction with CCleaner, I use Wise Disk Cleaner and Wise Registry Cleaner (with W.D.C set for secure deletion and W.R.C set for deep scan, to make sure I get every nook and cranny I can get to)

I've had my attention on Glary Utilities and ran a registry fragmentation scan with it (only looking at how fragmented it says my registry is), and did the same with Wise Registry Cleaner

Wise Registry Cleaner said my registry is about 4.04% fragmented, while Glary Utilities said (and I still don't know if I read it right) that my registry is about....13% fragmented I believe?

Now I know that different products will give others different results, but between Wise Registry Cleaner and Glary Utilities, which one do you guys recommend that I defrag my registry with; also, if you have an even better recommended tool for registry De-fragmentation, then please share, because I would definitely like to know about it; I'd bring this issue up to another forum dedicated to users helping others with problems and even more of the technical sort like this, but apparently, I either can't connect to it, or its more than likely been taken down (its called 5starsupport......helped me before, but now apparently they're dead to me)

Thanks for helping
"Zeus, your son has returned; I have brought the destruction, OF OLYMPUS"

resecnded x

Re: Difference between Disk Defrag and Registry Defrag?

Post by resecnded x » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Hello?

I understand that if the reason why im not getting an immediate answer is that you guys are looking/thinking up a good helpfull answer, but c'mon, help a bro out man, please?

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:58 pm

I don't really see a question; just a life story.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

AlexKlein

Post by AlexKlein » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi resecnded x,

I can't speak for software unless I've used it, so I can't say if the one you're using will defrag the registry. The one I use and recommend is Diskeeper - which I know will defrag your registry. A quick Google search should be easy enough to find the website. The software isn't free, but I feel like it's inexpensive because it's a sure thing.

-Alex

resecnded x

Post by resecnded x » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:14 pm

Well, as my topic says, im wanting to know which FREE software would be better to use to defrag my registry without screwing anything up: Wise Registry Cleaner, or the Glary Utilities registry defrag tool

Also, I have Wise Care 365 installed on my computer (kinda wishing a portable version was made available to liberkey) which is pretty much wise registry cleaner and wise disk cleaner all in one, so I guess replace the wise registry cleaner up in this msg with Wise Care 365

anyways, I'd like some help and not snide douche like replies, im asking for actual help here

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:55 pm

I use CCleaner, it makes backups of the registry in case something goes wrong.
However, it's been proven that registry cleaning doesn't really help.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

resecnded x

Post by resecnded x » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:23 pm

meh, in reality, im only asking about the registry defrag issue mainly because im trying to make my computer last as long as I can until I end up getting a new computer (which will be league's better than the one im currently using)

And also, I didn't really see that the wise care 365 program I have apparently has an option to create a zip folder with al the things needed to make Wise Care 365 a portable app, so I guess ill install that to my portable hard drive then

abferm
Steam ID:abferm

Post by abferm » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:42 pm

The registry is just a set of files on the hard disk. The reason most defragmenting utilities don't work on them is that they are in use if Windows is running and it is difficult to defrag a file that is in use. The best solution is to dual boot and defragment your main install of Windows with the other one. This way none of the files will be in use. Really I wouldn't worry about defraging the registry because it won't have that much of an effect on your system.