Fried Mobo??

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

H3LL0112
Fried Mobo??

Post by H3LL0112 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:58 pm

I was working on my GCp (Which was working just fine yesterday) and I tried hooking up the controller directly to the mobo and it wouldn't turn on anymore! So I disconnected the controller and it still won't work. :(

Blargaman91

Re: Fried Mobo??

Post by Blargaman91 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:19 am

Honestly, anything can happen. i'Ve had countless mobos die on me for no apparent reason. You should troubleshoot, though. I'm assuming you have a multimeter, it's kind of essential. So first, check the power supplies. If you have a DOL-001 board, that would be the external power regulator board. On a DOL-101, the power is all regulated on the main board. There should be 1.9v, 3.43v, 5v, and 12v coming from the power regualtor (unless whatever you're using to power the whole thing is not 12v). Go here to see the pins to finds those voltages.

http://kyorune.com/modding/article.php?id=84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll have to scroll down some. Note that 5v is not actually necessary for the mobo to work, just for DVD drive and the controller port board. 12v is also not necessary, it's just for audio. Testing for voltages on a DOL-101 board is not as easy but can certainly be done. There are points on the board where you can test. If you find nothing wrong with power, the next thing to check is shots. In a situation such as this, there is almost ALWAYS a short in the connections somewhere. From accidental experimenting I can say connecting 3.43 v to ground will cause the console to turn on for a split second then cut off. And there is a 3.43v line on the controller ports, as well as 5v. Check all of the lines, because a short can do anything. Also, If you've already rewired a memory card slot , check that. Shorts there can easily stop the console from working. But, there's also a chance that something on the board is broken. I had a working board once but the amp and the video decoding chip broke so there was no output for me to see or hear, though the processors were warm. Like I said, anything can happen with these boards. Just be extremely careful and make sure NOTHING happens to it that shouldn't happen.