Want to convert pushbutton volume control to rotary dial.

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

threedog
Want to convert pushbutton volume control to rotary dial.

Post by threedog » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Hello. I'm working on a custom TV/videogame monitor project, and I'm using a gutted Coby flatscreen tv. It has pushbutton (tact switch) controls for pretty much everything, including adjusting the volume and changing the channels. I plan on stuffing all the guts, including the LCD screen itself, into a custom wooden case, and I would like to class up the controls with some nice rotary knobs. Now if I understand correctly, I can just replace the tact switches with the proper leads from a rotary pulse switch and the pulses will send the same signal to the controls that a tact switch would. Am I correct? My second question is, where the devil does one get ahold of a few of these switches? Radio Shack and several other local electronic stores do not stock them, and the only way I found to buy them online was to make a huge bulk order from China. (Perhaps 10,000 other forum members would like to go in on a bulk purchase? lol) So it looks like the thing to do would be to canibalize a few of these switches from dead electronic devices. So, anyone have any idea what devices have them (and not those crazy complicated rotary encoders)? Anyone have any they'd like to send my way? Bonus if they have an integrated pushbutton switch. Thanks!