Where to Buy Gamebit / Security Screws?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

moviefan2k4
Where to Buy Gamebit / Security Screws?

Post by moviefan2k4 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:08 am

Hey, all.

Sorry for the very long absence, but I was wondering if the screws made for earlier Nintendo consoles were even made anymore. Last year, I bought a 3.8mm driver from the Nintendo Repair Shop website, and I plan to buy a 4.5mm version as well. I'd just like to have a box of the actual screws on hand, so I don't have to buy an old game to get them. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know what size of Phillips screws are used for the metal shields, inside N64 carts? I'm looking for those, too. Thanks for reading! :)

76000-in-1

Re: Where to Buy Gamebit / Security Screws?

Post by 76000-in-1 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Are you looking for "genuine original" screws? Or just "suitable replacement" screws?

If you are looking for originals, you might try asking the various repair shops. They might not list them as an inventoried product, but I would bet that most of these shops have bins full of them - they just don't necessarily think that they're a marketable product to put in their catalogs. :wink:

thegamezmaster
PSN Username:Tronman55

Post by thegamezmaster » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:35 am

Anyone know where to get bits to open Nintendo and Sega AC Adapters?

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:15 am

thegamezmaster wrote:Anyone know where to get bits to open Nintendo and Sega AC Adapters?
Use the same gamebit screw driver used for opening a snes console. Worked for me on sega power adapters. Yes, they are not gamebit but it's a perfect fit.

thegamezmaster
PSN Username:Tronman55

Post by thegamezmaster » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:57 am

The one for the NES is different. Seems like it needs a spanner bit but I don't know the size. Can anyone help? Thanks.

moviefan2k4

Post by moviefan2k4 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:38 pm

I'm still looking for suitable replacement screws, that I can use for the NES, SNES, and N64 carts. I know some folks use Phillips heads now, but what size do I need? I've looked at electronics stores, but haven't found anything.

moviefan2k4

Post by moviefan2k4 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:12 am

Almost another year gone, and still no reliable source for these. I found some screws that were about 25% too small once, but that's it. I don't even know the full technical specs for the original screws; any more suggestions?