NES lockout chip damaged

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

GW2
NES lockout chip damaged

Post by GW2 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:46 pm

I was disabling the lockout chip on the NES when the contact came right out of the IC. It's mangled so it wont go back in and i tried getting a wire soldered in there but no luck. do they sell new lockout chips? of have i just killed this NES?

EDIT: turns out you dont have to ground it do i should be good.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Re: NES lockout chip damaged

Post by nevermind1534 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:41 pm

Yes, as long as it's the correct pin that came out, you're fine. I always just pry the pin out of the IC when I disable it.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

low_budget

Post by low_budget » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:57 pm

You can use the lockout chip from any cart. They have different numbers, but are functionally the same. It's best to ground pin 4 if possible.

GW2

Post by GW2 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:37 pm

I think I'm going to have to rip the chip out of a cart, the console seems dead even though it's getting proper power.

nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:41 pm

GW2 wrote:I think I'm going to have to rip the chip out of a cart, the console seems dead even though it's getting proper power.
Did you get the correct pin? is the 72 pin connector in all the way (or is it old/worn)? Is the cartridge clean?

GW2

Post by GW2 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:52 pm

nevermind1534 wrote:
GW2 wrote:I think I'm going to have to rip the chip out of a cart, the console seems dead even though it's getting proper power.
Did you get the correct pin? is the 72 pin connector in all the way (or is it old/worn)? Is the cartridge clean?
correct pin, but it came out of the IC, Thing worked fine before I took it apart. The chip is all I can think of.

nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:06 pm

The thing is, every time I've ever done this "fix" (and I've done it hundreds of times), the pin has come out of the IC, and I've never had even one stop working. Are you certain that it isn't something else?

GW2

Post by GW2 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Well no, but I'm not exactly a pro so I'm trying the easiest thing first. i got a football game for a dollar so its worth a shot.

What I wouldn't give for a proper desoldering iron right now.

GW2

Post by GW2 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Well, Just soldered in the new chip, just need to wait for it to cool for a second then for a test.

Okay it still doesn't work. I guess you were right, Now the power going into and coming out of the regulator is good, the flow through the capacitors i moved it all good, could it be something to do with the video amp, I haven't even tried audio yet, so it could actually be working I suppose.

GW2

Post by GW2 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:43 am

I tried the sound and it crackles when I hook power up but I dont get game sound. I'm pulling my hair out. could I have damaged one of the disc capacitors or something when flattening them? I'm at a loss for what to check next. Also I'm not sure if I could have installed the new lockout chip backwards? I made the tab line up the same way and the text is the same way as everything else on the board. I'm stumped for now.

nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:06 am

Then I'd say it's not the lockout chip. I'm still leaning toward the game connector. One of the capacitors is also a possibility. Look at the ceramic discs, and if any of them look damaged, tell me which one, and I can mail you a new one.

GW2

Post by GW2 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:29 pm

ones got some of the orange stuff cracked off the leg (I assume the orange stuff is ceramic) and the other does look a little fubared. I can just get a variety pack from radio shack and replace it with the same type can't I? I can also try to clean the connector and see if I can make it tighter. I'll try all that tomorrow probably. Thanks for the help.

nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:05 am

You might be able to find the same values at radio shack, but probably not in a value pack. If you can't find them, I've got a few rolls of each of the ceramic capacitors, so I'm still willing to mail them.