I want to make a Slacker Scooter for College

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Raditude
PSN Username:Raditude
360 GamerTag:Big Raddy Kewl
I want to make a Slacker Scooter for College

Post by Raditude » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Hey everyone. I'm a long time fan of Ben Heck, but just now posting.

I am somewhat of a creative individual, and like to take things apart and tinker with them. I am a graphic artist, and am currently in a local community college working toward film.

Along with being a college student, I am a slacker. I'm known by my classmates and teachers for throwing my weight around. I recently watched Van Wilder again, and was inspired for my next bit of slackerdom. In the movie, Van had a golf cart to get from class to class. It was even outfitted with a remote keyfob security system. Well, the college I'm in, is not quite that big, but there is more than one building, and walking from one end of one to the other end of the other, isn't high on my list of fun things to do.

So I got to thinking... instead of a golf cart which would only work outdoors, and since I can't afford a Segway, I could get an electric scooter. What I want is to make some customizations to the scooter, to make it more slackeriffic.

Here is what I have in mind:

I found an electric scooter from Razor that is made for 13+ and 220lbs.
http://www.razor.com/us/products/electr ... ?name=E300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently, it has a switch below the foot stand to turn it on. That won't be very secure, and the location is inconvenient. I was thinking I could get a key'd ignition from a local lawnmower store, and somehow mount it to the handlebars, and run a wire down to replace the switch.

I want a musical horn for the slacker scooter. One that plays "Dixie" like the General Lee in Dukes of Hazard.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/6-alarm-so ... 00db-52764" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I found a base that will give me a case, a speaker a button and a way to connect a power source. But I'll want to replace it with some kind of system that can play the "Dixie" tune at the push of a button.

What I need is an idea on how to add the sound I want for it. I'm thinking some device that can play an MP3 file wired into the loud speaker. I've seen Ben use one in his hand sanitizer dispenser project, but don't know what kind it was, where to get it, or how to set it up. Also, the reviews on the site said the horn is way too loud, so I'd probably need to find a way to make it less audible, since I'll be using it in a building most of the time.

I found a Motorcycle Security System, complete with KeyFob. It also includes an FM Radio, MP3 player and Speakers.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/anti-theft ... -mmc-50705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It does what I want, but seems real confusing. I watched a video of someone demonstrating it, and the person had trouble getting it to do what he wanted. Ideally, I'd like to integrate this into the horn, so the MP3 sound would play through the horn at the push of a button, and I could arm and disarm the alarm with a beeping sound by using the KeyFob. I'm sure the security alarm sound included in this is really loud, and would also need to be toned down for indoor use. The FM radio functionality can be removed as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know much about electricity, so I'll need guidance in wiring this together correctly.

threedog

Re: I want to make a Slacker Scooter for College

Post by threedog » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:43 pm

Why not just replace the megaphone style loudspeaker with a smaller one, like an old computer speaker? Then wire in a volume knob (potentiometer). Should make for a neat, clean package and keep the volume down where you want it. For the security system, I guess you cold run the speaker wires from the alarm right to the volume control for your horn, then everything will go through the same speaker. Just don't piss off your prof by having that thing go off in class :lol: