Help please - n00b NES Lamp/Relay voltage

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

salazmic
Help please - n00b NES Lamp/Relay voltage

Post by salazmic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:58 pm

Hello-

I am working on a project to convert a NES into a working lamp for my son and I'd like to better understand what I need to be able to use the 5v power switch in the NES to turn the lamp on/off. I went ot my local electronic parts store today and was told that the 5v switch in the NES should be able to take a 120v load and that I would simply need to complete the light circuit and that a relay would not be needed. I don't want to ruin the switch or shock myself in the process so could you tell me what would be required to use the NES power switch to control the power to the lamp? I've looked all over and being a complete novice I'd rather buy a relay that I can connect the low voltage switch to in order to power the lamp. For the power light, I purchaased a new led and resitor as I wasn't sure what the specs of the existing red LED in the NES was. This is a birthday present for my son and I'd love some help-

Thank you!

jaqiefox

Re: Help please - n00b NES Lamp/Relay voltage

Post by jaqiefox » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:39 am

for one, there is a place that got like 12,000 new old stock NES switch assemblies and is selling them **DIRT** cheap. 5 for $1 cheap.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... BLY/1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for two, I bet it could take 120v at about a half an amp, which is like 8 watts, or a night light... but not much more then that. for simplicity's sake find a relay which has a 120vac coil and has a current capacity on the switch side for whatever you think you may run off of it... AEC (linked above) should have a few easily within that description.

that switch is not specifically rated for 5v I guarantee you that, however it's a pretty dang light duty switch I wouldnt trust for more then a couple watts at 120vac. the problem is you get much more and it will arc inside when you turn it off, and that kind of switch was not designed with anti arcing or arc tolerant contacts... meaning over a while (or even just a few throws at high amperage) it will pit the contacts and stop working.

Wanna sell the NES insides? please? :)
Jaqie Fox, Genuine girl techie | http://foxtecha.com