high current smartphone charger

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

thesavo
high current smartphone charger

Post by thesavo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:50 pm

Hello all. I am looking to build a replacement power-supply to charger my Smart phone. I have questions about power.
  1. Does anyone know if there is anything special about the 5volt USB power supplies that are included with most modern phones? That i can't get or isn't already in-place on a Standard "barrel Jack" power-supply that is included with most desktop Network switches and routers?
  2. Is there any danger with providing a modern smart phone with a 5volt source that is capable of more than 1000MA?
With advent of LTE phone data networks and 4-5" LCD monitors, the batteries for these phone are starting to be not enough. My wife and I can watch the power meter go down on our newest smartpohones while using a 1000mA USb charger. We have had this issue with less severity with older model smartphones, but more so now with LTE and a larger display.

Is this a route worth pursuing ?

Thank you

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22

Re: high current smartphone charger

Post by griehm » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:52 pm

There's always the issue with the battery life, charging it faster with higher currents may cause the overall battery life to die off faster than normal. You can try it, but don't go too crazy with the charger specs or you face overcharging/baking your battery/phone.
My suggestion? Get an Atrix. Love it, and the battery life is incredible. I've gotten 3 days of usage on it with lower than normal use.
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.

thesavo

Re: high current smartphone charger

Post by thesavo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:08 pm

Thank you for your reply. So your saying that 1000mA is about what we should be using? no more?
It the LG revolution, and watching Netflix on Verizon LTE is such a battery suck. It's sad, as this is designed for it.
We only get but 2 -3 hours of usability. A 1000mA charger barley keeps it alive. 2nd phone and 3rd charger.