Help me fix my car power locks? :D

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Sharp Sapphire
Portablizer
Help me fix my car power locks? :D

Post by Sharp Sapphire » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:37 pm

I know this isn't a car forum >_< But the people here are nice and knowledgeable so hopefully you all can help :)

I've been fighting with my new car a lot lately, and I need some electronics help to help me get this working. I've given up on having the current way the power locks work, so I have an alternative plan.

Currently, the driver side power door lock doesn't work when you hit the switch, but the passenger side does. I followed the wires and it goes to somewhere crazy and it's really hard to access/fix. So my alternate plan is to just route a pair of wires from the driver side door to the passenger side and send the signal to that wire. No big deal, just connect wires, or so I thought.

The design for the lock/unlock switch is a bit different, and I want to know if i'll be able to just directly connect the wires, or if ill need to make some sort of safety circuit.

How the switch works (from the interwebs)
There are 2 resistors in the switch, a 620 ohm for unlock, 2700 ohm for lock and the switch is open at rest.
The switch toggles 12 volts between the 2 resistors. The return wire goes the BCM (Body Control Module) to be interpreted as to what selected position the switch is in. From there the BCM will power the door lock motors in the door latches to lock or unlock the doors. So basically the switch is '2 states plus off' (power in, difference out).
Will I just be able to connect the drivers side wires to the passenger side wires, and they'll play safely? Or will I need to create some sort of circuit incase I get a situation where I get both sides being pressed? (lock/lock, lock/unlock, unlock/unlock, etc)...

If I can't just connect the wires, what should I do to create a circuit to allow this to work?

pic of how it's setup:
http://imgur.com/KQ5VR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Things I need to purchase for my NES Laptop:
1X PSone screen
6X 1.2v 3500mAh sub-C's
1X 1/8'' to RCA stereo Adapater
1X Radioshack repair kit

..yeaaaaah...

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: Help me fix my car power locks? :D

Post by vskid » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:19 pm

Could you at least say what model the car is?