Q: Can we re build Super FX(2) chips?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Adr990
Q: Can we re build Super FX(2) chips?

Post by Adr990 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:11 am

Hello everyone,

Next month or so I want to get my hands on a EPROM Programmer, to 'reproduce' NES/SNES games. (Homebrew, Starfox2 etc.)

But for the sake of Retro gaming, I don't want to use donor boards, at least avoid it, or only use Fifa and other games no one will miss that bad.. But preferably not at all.

So my question is, if I would make my own pcb board. I yet would need all those chips.
Are those re build-able, or does another company still make them?

Like could I make my own Super FX 2 chip, or get it from some wholesale?

Thanks in advance guys.

Greetings,
Adr990

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Re: Q: Can we re build Super FX(2) chips?

Post by Rekarp » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:37 am

Sorry, The Super FX chip was a custom piece of silicone that Nintendo made. Unless Nintendo releases the gate level design documents so it could be recreated in FPGA or reproduced it won't have replacement parts.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:05 pm

The print run on most Snes games is so high it really doesn't matter in the long run if you use donor carts or not. You could make Secret of Mana 2 repros for a hundred years and still just make a small dent in the print run of Madden 96. Specifically about FX chipped games I'm not sure (I assume you are asking because of Star Fox 2) but it's likely the same.

Adr990

Post by Adr990 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks guys.

Then so it be.. Ohwell there ain't that many FX games that I'd need a donor board for. :P
But I probably am making some for half my class in school, yea, all gamers, haha.
Of course, they must pay the donor, and eprom and eventual other costs their selfs.

But indeed, as far as I know, only the ram and eprom etc can be bought.
The Lockout chip and SUPER FX(2) can't be bought elsewhere.
(I know RetroUSB sells a LockoutChip clone though)

Thanks again, I probably will post some pictures of my work in a month or 2-3 if I got my EPROM programmer. heh

Adr990