Feasibility question - digital camera with large lcd display

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

dystopias
Feasibility question - digital camera with large lcd display

Post by dystopias » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:25 pm

Hello all. This isn't really related to console modding, but I couldn't think of better people to ask, so here goes.

How feasable is it to take an old digital camera and mod it to use a larger LCD than the one on the back of the camera? I'm thinking at least 10'.

Here's why: My wife has very limited vision. She recently used a tablet computer as a camera and liked that she could actually make out the image on the 'viewfinder' since it was on a 10' screen. I'm trying to synthisize that without having to spend $500 on an actual tablet . . .

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. i'm not a modder and really just wanted to know what experienced people thought this would involve.

thanks!

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Re: Feasibility question - digital camera with large lcd display

Post by bassmasta » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:08 pm

It's pretty feasible, I think, if you have the skills.

Someone would have to "sniff" around on the connections to the stock LCD and see how it works, wire up to them (which may be a pain), and with a good FPGA drive a larger LCD and do some upconversion magic.

Not myself, of course, but I'm sure someone could do it, for maybe half that price? It depends on what you use.

Actually, if it has live video-out, that would be the easiest...
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:03 pm

Yeah, most cameras support composite-out right out of the box. Should be relatively easy that way.

Edit: also, you can do it very cheaply if you get a camera with a broken screen. You won't need the original screen anyway.

dystopias

Post by dystopias » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:01 am

I'll check out the old camera I was going to use when I get home to see what it has in terms of output. Also, what about power? would the camera's battery be used to power the display I assume? I've got a spare 19" lcd . . . but i think that might be overdoing it . . . any ideas on where to get a 10"?

thanks again.