Do most laptop batteries come with a pcb?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

agentwd40
Do most laptop batteries come with a pcb?

Post by agentwd40 » Sat May 28, 2011 3:46 pm

I just ordered this battery from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Presa ... 624&sr=8-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Several people from this site have told me Batteryspace is a better place to get batteries, but they are far more expensive. (Although I am probably going to order a smart charger from them)

So can anyone tell me what my odds are of getting li-ion cells already wired to a pcb when I open that battery?

tom61

Re: Do most laptop batteries come with a pcb?

Post by tom61 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:49 pm

It might have a pcb, but it won't likely be a charge controller, just an emergency fail-safe.

agentwd40

Post by agentwd40 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:02 pm

So my best bet would be to just take it off and buy one from batteryspace?

tom61

Post by tom61 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:57 am

agentwd40 wrote:So my best bet would be to just take it off and buy one from batteryspace?
Pretty much. I wish there were more resources for using laptop batteries, but with all the risks (this things can catch fire if improperly handled), you're much better off going with a made for hobbyists solution (batteryspace.)

agentwd40

Post by agentwd40 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:20 pm

I'm just going to have a local battery store take the battery apart and attach a pcb and there's a friend of the family who's an electrical engineer I'm going to commission to connect the power source since I don't know what I'm doing. So as long as the battery I bought turns out to be good I'll be fine.