NES not working...

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

krypton
PSN Username:II-Krypton-II
360 GamerTag:MLK Alpha
NES not working...

Post by krypton » Mon May 23, 2011 12:15 pm

I recently bought an NES from eBay only to have it flash white in my face when I tested it. Sometimes it would flash, and other times when I really jammed the cartridge in there, it would give a solid white. I've read that the solution is a new 72-pin connector, but I don't want to go wasting any more money. Are there any other common NES defects that would cause a white screen?

Thanks

17daysolderthannes

Re: NES not working...

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Tue May 24, 2011 10:29 am

it's the 72-pin.

You can try taking it out and cleaning it and bending the pins back, but that takes a good hour or two (there's 72 of them after all). A new one is only like $6.

Additionally, you can clean your games with rubbing alcohol on a q-tip if you haven't already.

The long and short of it is that Nintendo used god awful metal for their contacts and it oxidizes/corrodes VERY easily and so they need to be cleaned regularly.

krypton

Post by krypton » Tue May 24, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks man I just ordered the 72 pin connector after cleaning EVERYTHING to no avail... I used steel wool and sandpaper on all the connections, then used rubbing alcohol, and rebent all the pins upward. Still, flashing white screen, except this time no matter what I do I can't return to the solid white screen. Just flashing... hopefully this new pin connector does the trick! :)

Thanks again for your reply.

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63

Post by com64 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:30 pm

I had that problem with my NES, but I bent the pins back into place, didn't insert the cartridge all the way, kept it out an extra millimeter or two and didn't press the cartridge down. Everything runs well now. :)
Finally: the surface!

krypton

Post by krypton » Fri May 27, 2011 11:03 pm

I ordered a new pin-connector, still didn't work. I just gave up and got a new NES :) Thanks for the help though, I must have put about 6-7 hours into trying to salvage the thing...

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63

Post by com64 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:12 pm

krypton wrote:I ordered a new pin-connector, still didn't work. I just gave up and got a new NES :) Thanks for the help though, I must have put about 6-7 hours into trying to salvage the thing...
Oh, there's one thing that I didn't mention; I disabled the lockout chip by clipping off pin 4 of the integrated circuit labeled "3193A".
Finally: the surface!