The D-pad

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Blacksheep32
The D-pad

Post by Blacksheep32 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:46 am

WHat's on the bottom of the d-pad? and how can I make one? I don't plan on using the miniature tac-switches unless I have to.

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Re: The D-pad

Post by humakabula1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:13 pm

the d-pd has 4 on those pressure button things, im not sure of the exact name.
the rubber mushy dome things push down and connect a two part pad on the pcb
ignore the red
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:18 pm

The half-circles you see are carbon pads printed on the board, which conduct electricity. The squishy rubber dome has a similar material printed on the bottom, and when you press the button it bridges the gap between the two half-circles, completing the circuit like turning a switch on.

You could chop the controller board up and rig it to work in your project, but you will have to use the rubber pads again. It's usually easier to make your own buttons out of tact switches, though. If you need a convenient, cheap source for a couple tact switches, check out the mini FM radios at a bargain goods store like Dollar Tree or Poundland. Each one should have two or three inside. (They're usually made out of translucent plastic so you should be able to tell, but if the button feels 'clicky' there's a good chance there's a tact switch under there. As a bonus you'll get a couple other useful parts like a headphone jack and volume potentiometer.)

Blacksheep32

Post by Blacksheep32 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:59 pm

I just like the squishy feel. I have tons of tact switches from old computer mice and from the VCR I hacked (might make a micro NES control from the board) I ended up dismantling a NES controller for parts I needed, I needed the chip anyway. I also took apart my NES Advantage and will post up the circuit diagram as soon as I finish it. Thanks for the feedback folks!