What do you guys know about AVRs?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp
What do you guys know about AVRs?

Post by bicostp » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:44 pm

I've got a lot of bad circuit cards I've been scrapping for their aluminum backs, and each has an AtMega64L, among other fun components. I've been harvesting the parts with a hot air gun, and assuming I haven't cooked the poor things I'd like to do something with them. Nothing amazingly spectacular like DIY game systems or video players, just starting with things like text POV displays and stepper motors.

I've already read a few tutorials off electronics sites like ladyada.net and Evil Mad Scientist, but they're either missing the programming parts, or are written for people who already know what the hell they're doing. "Just write your program plug this in there and then patch the semitransducer through the flux capacitor and when it hits 700 sell; see wasn't that easy? Image" (Kind of like this.) All I know right now is they can be programmed while still in the circuit with a special 6 pin cable and programmer, and that they're mostly compatible with code written for lesser models. At this point I know far more about soldering them into place than actually making them do something. :|

The biggest missing piece is the programmer. From what I can tell, this $15 model from Sparkfun should do the job?

Anybody know of some decent tutorials for people starting from square one?

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Re: What do you guys know about AVRs?

Post by Snow_Cat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Yes. It should, as would many of the other DIY options that consist of wires (and the occasional reistor+transistor) stuffed in a serial port.

For example lancos.com'sPony Prog can use an adaptor and either the parallel or serial PC port to program these chips, such as electronics-diy.com's AVR Programmer.

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:24 pm

I'm doing this stuff now for my senior project, fun stuff. 8)

You could just make a basic DAPA cable by soldering a few wires, components etc (like Snow_Cat said) but getting a USB programmer can make it way easier in the long run. That SparkFun one looks nice, but I've also heard good things about the USBtinyISP.

This guide is a little complete for a full guide, but I found it really useful.
http://sites.google.com/site/qeewiki/books/avr-guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hackaday's series is pretty good too.
http://hackaday.com/2010/10/23/avr-prog ... roduction/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A good C tutorial will be useful as well (or book, too).
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:16 am

Well I've got some sample code, a lot of links, tutorials, diagrams, and a bunch of parts rounded up, time to start assembling an interface board! I'll solder some magnet wire or 80-lead IDE cable to the AVR and use a long DIP prototyping board as a breakout.

This is going to be fun!. Image

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:14 pm

If you've got a little bit of cash to spare, adafruit.com sells an Open-source hardware device called an "Arduino" (Are-dwee-no) which is a really, really nice introduction to AVR's and the combination of hardware/software in general. I've got the most recent model (I got a 'Starter Kit' and a full-size breadboard from adafruit.com) and I've been having loads of fun with it. There is a LOT you can do with it.